Changing face of Newham at Stratford photo exhibition
Scenes of Newham’s past sit side by side with those depicting the changing face of the borough in an exhibition of photographs in Stratford.
The mixture of black and white and colour images at Stratford Circus coincide with the publication of a book by former Newham Recorder cameraman Steve Lewis called London’s East End Then & Now.
The exhibition, which will run until July 4, also features articles from the Newham Recorder from the 1960s which accompanied the black and white photographs taken by Steve. Many of them were featured in his first book, London’s East End: A 1960s Album which focused on the post-war poverty and deprivation that was widespread.
They present a stark contrast to his modern day images, many of which were taken in the same locations to highlight the changes that have taken place in the last 50 years.
Among the guests at the launch of the exhibition was Barry Lightly whose photo features in both books.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Lightly was aged just 17 when the first photo was taken of him on his fruit and vegetable stall in the original Queens Road Market, in Upton Park. He was re-photographed again at his stall at the indoor Queens Road Market. He has since retired.
Barry ran the stall with his wife Julie who said that although Newham was currently experiencing housing problems, if you looked at the images of people taken in the 1960s they also highlighted people living in overcrowded conditions.
- 1 Silvertown scrap yard blaze burns throughout night as crews remain on scene
- 2 Woman arrested in Custom House fatal stabbing and shooting investigation
- 3 Newham's governance referendum: the case for both options
- 4 Silvertown scrapyard blaze under control after crews battle for nine hours
- 5 Man hit by car in alleged Canning Town 'fight' dies from injuries
- 6 Appeal to help find missing girl who may be in Dagenham, Ilford or Stratford
- 7 Teenagers killed in London in 2021 so far nears 2020 total
- 8 Police name victim of Custom House fatal shooting and stabbing
- 9 Staff 'overjoyed' as nursery opens in Stratford
- 10 Meet the candidates battling for votes in East Ham's by-election