Canning Town boxer Terry Spinks to be honoured with community space
- Credit: Archant
The youngest Olympic gold medallist in British boxing history, Terry Spinks, will have a community space named after him.
Newham Council will pay tribute to the Canning Town boxer who won gold in the flyweight division at the 1956 Olympic Games in Melbourne, Australia. He will be remembered through a new community space in the regeneration area close to his former home.
Terry Spinks Place will be situated between Rathbone Market in Barking Road and a new development area to the south of the Canning Town flyover. The area is being currently being transformed as part of a £180m regeneration scheme that will deliver 650 homes, new shops and a market square.
Terry was raised in Liverpool Road and Morgan Street, Canning Town. He fought 26 bouts as an amateur between 1953 and 1957 losing only four. As a professional until 1963 he had 49 fights losing only seven. He received an MBE in 2002 and died in April 2012 at the age of 74.
Councillor Ian Corbett, Newham Council’s executive member for environment, said: “The area beneath Canning Town flyover is being landscaped and turned into a positive, attractive space for use by the community. We will be speaking with residents and local groups about this over the coming months and hope to have a formal opening later this year.”
You may also want to watch:
Mayor of Newham Sir Robin Wales said: “Terry was an East End idol who had a long and successful boxing career, highlighted by his gold medal at the Olympic Games. He was a great ambassador for Canning Town so it is the perfect spot to have a fitting and lasting memorial to him.”
- 1 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
- 2 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 3 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 4 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 5 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 6 Free fitness sessions on offer in Newham as parkrun returns
- 7 Grade II-listed building to become creative hub with £250k refurb
- 8 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 9 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase
- 10 Barts Trust ends major incident but situation 'critical' at Whipps Cross