‘It is important those who lost their lives are not forgotten’: Newham marks 80th anniversary of the Blitz
- Credit: Andrew Baker
The borough has marked the 80th anniversary of the start of the Blitz with a wreath laying ceremony to remember those who died.
Mayor Rokhsana Fiaz along with deputy mayors Charlene McLean and John Gray were at the mass grave and memorial in Manor Park Cemetery in Sebert Road, Forest Gate, today (September 7) paying tribute to the civilian casualties.
Cllr McLean, Newham’s cabinet chief for community neighbourhoods, said: “There are residents who remember the Blitz through direct experience or have learned about it through family stories, school lessons, movies or remembrance commemorations.
“It is important that those who lost their lives are not forgotten. It is also important that we remember the difficulties that those who were left behind had to face.”
The Blitz started on this day in 1940 and ended May 11 the following year when Nazi Germany’s fascist leader, Adolf Hitler, called off the air raids, moving his bombers east ahead of the country’s invasion of the USSR.
You may also want to watch:
However, enemy bombardment from the air continued throughout the Second World War. Total deaths during the Blitz though amounted to more than 43,000, according to the University of Exeter’s centre for the study of war, state and society.
The term Blitz was first used by the British press and is the German word for lightning.
- 1 Tributes to Newham cop who died after positive Covid-19 test
- 2 Covid vaccination hub opening in Westfield next week
- 3 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 4 Police release image after teenager stabbed in Forest Gate robbery
- 5 What a load of old rubbish: Fly-tippers keep charity staff out of building
- 6 Violent gang stuff sock in elderly woman's mouth and steal her jewellery
- 7 Labour Party investigates second Newham councillor over antisemitism
- 8 One in 20 may have had Covid-19 last week in Redbridge, Newham and Barking and Dagenham, figures suggest
- 9 Arrests after girl, 16, falls onto tracks at King George V DLR
- 10 Newham housing association offers homes to Hackney Council with £10m price tag
For eight months, London was attacked with high explosive bombs and parachute mines, which had a devastating effect on the then boroughs of East Ham and West Ham.
The Royal Docks was one of the main targets with the Nazis intent on damaging the commercial life of the capital by bombing warehouses, wharves, railway lines, factories and power stations of the East End.
The town hall is hosting online exhibition Black Saturday: Stories from the Blitz to commemorate the 80th anniversary.
It features photographs and stories from people who remember the first days of Nazi Germany’s bombing campaign.
Cllr McLean said: “The online exhibition tells the story of those early days in one of the darkest periods in our local history.
“The German Luftwaffe tried to break the spirit of this part of the East End, but they failed. The first-hand accounts of residents are as awe-inspiring as they are tragic.”
Visit the online exhibition and read the stories from the early days of the Blitz at newham.gov.uk/downloads/file/2075/black-saturday-exhibition