7/7: Mayor of Newham’s memories of the bombings
- Credit: PA Archive/Press Association Images
A decade ago, 52 people were killed in a terrorist attack on London’s transport network.
The Mayor of Newham, Sir Robin Wales, shares his thoughts on the tragedy that shook the capital.
The Mayor’s Newham Show and Carnival at the weekend will be another great occasion that brings our community together.
I’m looking forward to it immensely, but it always serves to remind me of the outrage that took place on the morning of July 7, 2005.
Just hours earlier we were euphoric in Meridian Square, Stratford, as we watched the announcement on a giant screen of who was to host the 2012 Games. Then came the horror of the explosions in central London.
You may also want to watch:
Out of respect to those who died we considered cancelling the Newham Show that was taking place just a few days later. In the end we went ahead, safe in the knowledge that it would celebrate our togetherness as a community. I’m glad we did, and the reasons for that decision hold true 10 years on.
As a community of different faiths, beliefs and cultures, we remain united in not allowing the actions of a very few to divide us. We celebrate diversity and foster a common sense of belonging and a shared identity where people can turn to each other for support. Together we have the strength and resilience to meet challenges head on – and that continues to shape everything we do as a council.
- 1 Roof destroyed by fire in Upton Park
- 2 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 3 Tyrese Omotoye impresses on O's trial as Ouss Cisse looks set to depart
- 4 Jailed: 'Violent' Beckton man who threatened to chop off ex-partner's head
- 5 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
- 6 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 7 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 8 Next court date for drink driving accused after Beckton collision
- 9 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 10 Lanzini enjoying deeper role for West Ham in pre-season