420 more people lose their jobs in West Ham
West Ham MP Lyn Brown described unemployment in her constituency as a “tragedy” this week as it was revealed that 420 more people had lost their jobs.
The updated Claimant Count data from the Department of Work and Pensions showed a seven per cent increase in the number of people claiming out of work benefits this year, nearly double that of the UK has a whole.
“Every job lost is a tragedy for that individual and their family.
“These figures also underplay the problem of underemployment and people having to accept fewer hours.”
The report recorded claimant counts of 6.7 per cent in East Ham and a 7.8 per cent in West Ham.
You may also want to watch:
She added: “I urge the Government to take note.”
- 1 New developments given the green light in Newham so far this year
- 2 Steward admits lanyard theft ahead of Euro 2020 final
- 3 Woodford Green and Forest Gate residents criticise councils over flooding
- 4 Forest Gate flats bid gets green light despite neighbours' objections
- 5 Free fitness sessions on offer in Newham as parkrun returns
- 6 Engineering student wins place at Princeton University
- 7 Grade II-listed building to become creative hub with £250k refurb
- 8 Fried chicken outlet to open at Westfield in Stratford
- 9 Barts Trust ends major incident but situation 'critical' at Whipps Cross
- 10 Inquest: Newham driver died of 'misadventure' after Redbridge police chase