420 more people lose their jobs in West Ham
West Ham MP Lyn Brown described unemployment in her constituency as a “tragedy” this week as it was revealed that 420 more people had lost their jobs.
The updated Claimant Count data from the Department of Work and Pensions showed a seven per cent increase in the number of people claiming out of work benefits this year, nearly double that of the UK has a whole.
“Every job lost is a tragedy for that individual and their family.
“These figures also underplay the problem of underemployment and people having to accept fewer hours.”
The report recorded claimant counts of 6.7 per cent in East Ham and a 7.8 per cent in West Ham.
You may also want to watch:
She added: “I urge the Government to take note.”
- 1 Cause of death remains unknown after body found in disused Forest Gate pub
- 2 Jailed man caught with knife in Stratford to be handed court order
- 3 Forest Gate triple shooting: 'Safety is everybody's business,' councillor says
- 4 Body found in derelict pub in Forest Gate
- 5 Tom Hiddleston to appear as MCM Comic Con returns to ExCeL London in Royal Docks
- 6 Hundreds arrested after police crackdown on county lines
- 7 Worshippers at mosque in Upton Park aim to raise £35k for Royal British Legion's Poppy Appeal 2021
- 8 Car abandoned after triple shooting and stabbing at Forest Gate barber
- 9 Thames Barrier closing for 200th time amid potential east London flooding
- 10 Road and rail disruptions to expect in east London this week