420 more people lose their jobs in West Ham
West Ham MP Lyn Brown described unemployment in her constituency as a “tragedy” this week as it was revealed that 420 more people had lost their jobs.
The updated Claimant Count data from the Department of Work and Pensions showed a seven per cent increase in the number of people claiming out of work benefits this year, nearly double that of the UK has a whole.
“Every job lost is a tragedy for that individual and their family.
“These figures also underplay the problem of underemployment and people having to accept fewer hours.”
The report recorded claimant counts of 6.7 per cent in East Ham and a 7.8 per cent in West Ham.
You may also want to watch:
She added: “I urge the Government to take note.”
- 1 Rumours over empty Stratford estate homes quashed in meeting
- 2 Vandal targets St Antony statue outside church in Forest Gate
- 3 Architects awarded £300K contract for Stratford Station makeover
- 4 Family of man who died after attack in Canning Town pays tribute to a 'loving, generous' father
- 5 Ex-police officer among group jailed for £850k intercept from rival gangs
- 6 Flights from London City Airport to Switzerland resume as hub readies for return to international travel
- 7 Kenny Jackett emerges as odds-on favourite for Leyton Orient job
- 8 Blaze under control at block of flats being built in Canning Town
- 9 'Petrified' cat reunited with kittens after 'pursuit' in Canning Town
- 10 Newham saw no deaths from Covid-19 at the end of April, figures show