Search

West Ham face fresh hearing to contest Andy Carroll decision

09:40 07 February 2014

West Ham

West Ham's Andy Carroll (left) is shown a red card against Swansea. Picture: PA

West Ham will today appear before a Football Association arbitral tribunal to challenge the decision relating to Andy Carroll’s three-match suspension, the club have announced.

West Ham will today appear before a Football Association arbitral tribunal to challenge Andy Carroll’s three-match suspension.

The Hammers are unhappy that the England striker’s ban - a consequence of being sent off against Swansea last week - was not overturned.

Co-owner David Gold said on Thursday that his club were seeking “legal redress” over the matter, although a statement on West Ham’s official website this morning ruled out any sort of court action.

“West Ham United are today (Friday) appearing before an FA Arbitral Tribunal in a challenge to the FA Regulatory Commission’s decision relating to the three-match suspension of Andy Carroll,” it read.

“The club is concerned that the Regulatory Commission did not apply the correct test under the rule, and denied the club procedural fairness.

“West Ham’s complaint is made under the FA Rules, and the club shall accept and abide by the decision of the FA Arbitral Tribunal.

“The club has no intention of taking the issue to the courts, but simply seeks a fair determination of its rights under the FA’s Rules.”

Referee Howard Webb made the decision to send off the striker after a clash with Swansea’s Chico Flores.

Carroll is now facing a three-match ban and Gold said that could mean the difference between relegation and top-flight survival.

Gold said on Thursday: “We are hugely disappointed at the outcome of the process.

“There is nowhere to go other than to seek some kind of legal redress. It’s not ideal, the last thing I want to do is go to some kind of legal issue because I think it is a footballing issue.

“But we are fighting for our lives. If we were mid-table we would probably get on with it but we are fighting for our lives to retain our Premier League status and we owe it to our fans, we owe it to ourselves.”

Related articles

0 comments

Latest Newham Sports News

Leyton Orient supporters have discovered season ticket prices for the 2016/17 campaign (pic: Simon O'Connor).

Brisbane Road club reduce prices for under-11s and under-18s plus launch new junior membership scheme

Mansfield Town
11:35
Anton and Rio Ferdinand faced each other during the 2006-07 season

Brothers to combine against Germany Legends at Boleyn Ground event

Premier League
West Ham United manager Slaven Bilic on the touchline during the Emirates FA Cup, Quarter Final Replay match at Upton Park, London.

The Hammers travel to West Brom with a fully-fit squad

Dimitri Payet
Leyton Orient midfielder Sammy Moore in action at Brisbane Road earlier in the season (pic: Simon O'Connor).

Leyton Orient midfielder Sammy Moore is determined to finish the League Two campaign with two consecutive victories.

Mansfield Town

Newsletter Sign Up

Most read sport

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Competitions

Kindle 7 inch tablet

Are you looking for a brand new gadget to help you stay connected on the go and make that long journey home a bit more entertaining? Look no further. MyOffers is giving you the chance to win 1 of 50 Kindle Fire 7” Display Tablets! That’s 50 times more chances to win, so hurry up and enter our competition today and you could be one of our lucky winners!

Read more
Yummy traditional afternoon teas for two

MyOffers is giving you the chance to win 1 of 50 Traditional Afternoon Teas for two at a location of your choice! That’s 50 times more chances to win, so hurry up and enter our competition today and you could be one of our lucky winners!

Read more

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Newham Recorder
e-edition today

Subscribe