Chelsea star reveals the ‘biggest blow’ of his career
PUBLISHED: 10:47 01 December 2012
Gary Cahill has revealed the true extent of his heartache at missing the European Championship, but insists it made him as more determined than ever to be part of England’s World Cup plans.
Cahill lifted the lid on his disappointment at the broken jaw that cost him the chance of playing in his first major international tournament in the middle of what has been a rollercoaster 2012 for the 26-year-old.
With a month of this year still remaining, Cahill is already on his third Chelsea manager, having only joined them in January, and his second England boss.
He won the Champions League and FA Cup and was part of a squad tipped to be crowned this season’s Barclays Premier League champions.
But he now finds himself at a club rapidly losing ground at the top of the table and on the brink of surrendering the European Cup.
He even faces a fight just to reclaim his place for club and country but nothing has hurt him more this year than the injury he suffered on the eve of Euro 2012.
“It was the biggest blow and I haven’t spoken too much about it,” said Cahill, speaking at the second annual England Footballers Foundation Charity Cup.
“It really was for me because I knew it was an opportunity.
“I had a lot of confidence leading off the back of what we did last year and really looking forward to going to my first major tournament, and it wasn’t to be because of that.
“So it took me a few weeks to get my head around it.
“It’s hard. I think if you ask any player, when you’re injured, even if you’re just injured for a Saturday game and you go to watch, it’s not the same.
“You’re always itching in the stand and you’re thinking, ‘I should be out there’.
“So to miss a major tournament is like that times 10.
“So it was a difficult time and, like I said, a big blow in my career but one that I hope makes you stronger.
“Now, my main goal is the World Cup and I’m more focused than ever to try and make that.”