Big Sam happy with Carroll’s conduct amid Dublin assault allegations

13:56 07 December 2012

West Ham United manager Sam Allardyce (left) hugs Andy Carroll (right) as he is substituted during the 1-0 defeat at Manchester United. Photo credit: Martin Rickett/PA Wire

West Ham United manager Sam Allardyce (left) hugs Andy Carroll (right) as he is substituted during the 1-0 defeat at Manchester United. Photo credit: Martin Rickett/PA Wire

PA Wire

Sam Allardyce has leapt to the defence of on-loan striker Andy Carroll after the 23-year-old was questioned by police investigating an alleged assault on a photographer following the club’s Christmas party in Dublin last weekend.

West Ham have denied that Carroll had been involved in a physical confrontation and the manager today said he is happy with the conduct of his players.

The Hammers host Liverpool on Sunday but the England international would have been ineligible to feature against his parent club but faces between six to eight weeks on the sidelines with a knee injury.

On the incident in the Irish captial, Allardyce said: “I’ve got the details, all the statements. I suppose at the moment if the police are still some investigation going on I think I cant comment.

“All I know it was a huge aggravation by a photographer who became a pest. I’m happy with the way Andy and all the lads conducted themselves.

“If the photographer appeared to have been following them around for hours and hours and hours and hiding behind bins waiting for him to come out after he’s come out - then what will be will be.”

When asked if he had spoken to Carroll, Allardyce said: “Not really no, they had a good time and enjoyed themselves like they should do. They’ve come back and it’s built again a fantastic spirit in the team.

“The security guards have come out and given their statements and I’m happy with what they’ve said.”

West Ham will host Carroll’s parent club Liverpool on Sunday with all the focus Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers is also unable to call on his main striker Luis Suarez.

The Uruguay forward picked up his fifth booking of the season for deliberate handball in last weekend’s win against Southampton and will sit out the game at Upton Park.

Related articles


Latest Newham Sports News


Steve Nash will make an appearance at free event in Shoreditch to show support for exhibition in partnership with NBA 2K17 and Foot Locker

UN Court

Tons boss unhappy with penalty decision and reveals Hussain Jaffa was set to play at Mile End Stadium

Essex Senior League

Victoria Park boss always thought the second goal of Saturday’s encounter would be crucial and it proved to be the case

Ollie Palmer

Who has won the pair of tickets for tomorrow’s clash with Chelsea?

Newsletter Sign Up

Most read sport


Show Job Lists


Cosmetics, toiletries, vitamins and more. Boots is the number one choice when it comes to purchasing daily essentials.

Read more

If you’re obsessed with Apple or just love a good gadget, this is a prize that will blow you away! An incredible £3,333 to spend on Apple goodies! How would you like to be the proud new owner of the Apple Watch?

Read more

Digital Edition


Enjoy the
Newham Recorder
e-edition today


Education and Training


Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now