Search

Win a £100 Amazon voucher in this week’s Recorder

On sale today

Allardyce welcomes offers for wantaway West Ham man as Crystal Palace and Cardiff linked

11:48 30 August 2013

West Ham United

West Ham United's Ricardo Vaz Te (left). Picture: Stephen Pond/PA

PA Wire/Press Association Images

Transfer news: Manager Sam Allardyce says he will let Ricardo Vaz Te leave West Ham for the right price – but believes the forward was illegally tapped up before submitting his transfer request.

The Portuguese vented his frustrations in a strongly-worded statement yesterday, claiming he had been unfairly treated by West Ham and demanding a move away from Upton Park.

Crystal Palace and Cardiff City are among the clubs to have been linked with Vaz Te, who has struggled to nail down a first team place with the east Londoners since helping them win promotion in 2012.

Allardyce is ready to listen to offers for the 26-year-old and suspects he has already been made aware of potential suitors.

“If anybody’s going to leave now it’ll be Vaz,” said Allardyce. “You don’t keep anybody that doesn’t want to stay.

“If a club comes in to make the right offer for him we’ll be more than happy to accommodate the transfer request he’s given us.”

He added: “Generally when you make something like that they’ve been tapped. Someone would’ve probably already contacted him.

“I am expecting a bid for him in the next couple of days because you don’t do that sort of thing this late in the transfer window without having somebody spoken to you.”

Allardyce worked with Vaz Te during his time at Bolton, and he says he wasn’t surprised by the player’s transfer request.

“I’ve known Vaz since he was 16, he generally speaks his mind and gives his opinion. Everyone’s entitled to their opinion.”

“We haven’t had an offer for him. I would expect in the next couple of days we will have an enquiry.”

Despite Vaz Te’s statement, Allardyce insists his relationship with the player is not beyond repair,

“Nothing is beyond repair with me,” He said. “20 years ago, 18 years ago, he’d probably never kick a ball again.

“In today’s world of football and me being a bit more mature and mellow, I’m always ready to give someone a second chance.

“At this moment in time if he wants to leave he can. There’s no problem with that.

“The club who wants him will have to pay a fair price we consider is right. He won’t just leave the club because he wants to.”

Related articles

0 comments

Latest Sport Stories

Saturday, July 4, 2015
Essex's Ryan ten Doeschate (pic: Gavin Ellis/TGSPHOTO)

County to host ICC World Cricket League event

Afghanistan
Friday, July 3, 2015
Leyton Orient midfielder Lloyd James (left) is looking forward to the new season (pic: Simon O'Connor).

After struggling with injuries last year, Lloyd James looking to have success under new boss Ian Hendon

Mathieu Baudry
Friday, July 3, 2015
Leyton Orient's Brisbane Road (pic: Ian Walton).

Former Orient number one returns as Ian Hendon’s goalkeeper coach

Ian Hendon
Friday, July 3, 2015
Leyton Orient head coach Ian Hendon (pic: Simon O'Connor).

Brisbane Road head coach has added three experienced people to his backroom staff at Orient

Ian Hendon

Most read sport

Competitions

Good times with Greenall's!

Good times with Greenall’s, a Great British gin sponsors Great British racing.

Read more
Escape to the picturesque sights of Cornwall

Summer is finally here, and what is the number one holiday location in the UK during the warmer months? Cornwall, of course!

Read more

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Newham Recorder e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24


Our trusted business finder