Search

Allardyce gives update on Benayoun’s fitness and possible transfer

12:01 14 December 2012

Yossi Benayoun of West Ham. Pic: Rob Newell/TGSPhoto

Yossi Benayoun of West Ham. Pic: Rob Newell/TGSPhoto

Rob Newell/TGSPHOTO c/o 27 Plaiters Way, Braintree, Essex, CM7 3LR - Editorial Use ONLY - FA Premier League and Football League

West Ham boss Sam Allardyce says he will make a decision in January on whether to sign Chelsea loanee Yossi Benayoun permanently.

The Israeli - who spent two successful seasons at Upton Park between 2005 and 2007 - has made just six appearances for the Hammers this season due to niggling injury problems.

The 32-year-old was expected to feature in West Ham’s 3-2 defeat to former club Liverpool on Sunday but suffered another set-back in training.

Allardyce has revealed Benayoun is working on his recovery at parent club Chelsea and says West Ham will make a decision on his future during the upcoming transfer window.

Asked if a permanent deal could be on the cards, Allardyce said: “We would obviously make that decision in January because it’s stipulated in the loan agreement.”

He continued: “Our problem with Yossi at the moment is to try and get him fit. That’s our big problem.

“He broke down in training last week after we thought that he would be ok and at the moment he’s back with Chelsea trying to recover from that injury.”

Benayoun will miss Sunday’s trip to West Brom but West Ham will be hoping to call on him again over the Christmas period.

Related articles

0 comments

Latest Sport Stories

Our West Ham blogger sees plenty of positives in defeat at Everton

Andy Carroll
Yesterday, 17:59
Everton's Leon Osman celebrates scoring their second goal of the game during the Barclays Premier League match at Goodison Park, Liverpool.

Hammers substitute Mauro Zarate makes big impact but West Ham slip to defeat

Most read sport

The final GP in the UAE may not have been a thriller, but it did kind of sum up the season for a lot of drivers.

Protesters have been warned they are banned from setting up camp at the landmark.

John Cantlie features in the new IS video, in which he talks about a recent failed military attack.

From Britain First’s Facebook posts, you would assume they’d won the Rochester by-election. They didn’t, but they’re claiming it anyway.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Newham Recorder e-edition today E-edition