Search

Allardyce accepts substantial damages from former Blackburn boss Kean

11:48 16 January 2013

West Ham United manager Sam Allardyce. Picture: Sean Dempsey/PA Wire

West Ham United manager Sam Allardyce. Picture: Sean Dempsey/PA Wire

PA Wire/Press Association Images

West Ham manager Sam Allardyce has accepted substantial undisclosed damages over a claim that he was sacked from his previous post at Blackburn because he was a crook.

Mr Allardyce brought defamation proceedings in London’s High Court against Steve Kean, who was Blackburn’s manager during a summer 2011 pre-season tour of the Far East.

His solicitor, Hanna Basha, told Mr Justice Eady that the “false and defamatory” allegation, made while Mr Kean was drinking in a bar in Hong Kong, was filmed on a camera phone and subsequently published to many hundreds of thousands of people over the internet and reported in the national press.

She said that Mr Kean had acknowledged the allegation was completely untrue, withdrawn it, and agreed to pay a substantial sum in damages.

Mr Kean’s counsel, John Mehrzad, offered his apologies for the hurt and distress caused and said he was pleased to set the record straight.

Ms Basha said that Mr Allardyce’s claim against Blackburn had been settled and as the club had published an apology on its website, it was not a party to today’s statement in court.

Related articles

0 comments

Latest Sport Stories

Yesterday, 11:24

Our West Ham blogger sees plenty of positives in defeat at Everton

Andy Carroll
Saturday, November 22, 2014
O's first  goalscorer Gianvito Plasmati  celebrates with manager Mauro Milanese. Pic: Simon O'Connor

O’s boss delighted to send O’s fans home happy.

David Mooney
Saturday, November 22, 2014
Everton's Leon Osman celebrates scoring their second goal of the game during the Barclays Premier League match at Goodison Park, Liverpool.

Hammers substitute Mauro Zarate makes big impact but West Ham slip to defeat

Most read sport

The final GP in the UAE may not have been a thriller, but it did kind of sum up the season for a lot of drivers.

Protesters have been warned they are banned from setting up camp at the landmark.

John Cantlie features in the new IS video, in which he talks about a recent failed military attack.

From Britain First’s Facebook posts, you would assume they’d won the Rochester by-election. They didn’t, but they’re claiming it anyway.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Newham Recorder e-edition today E-edition