Allardyce admits Wellington faces a fight to win his place at West Ham
PUBLISHED: 09:30 02 February 2013
Sam Allardyce has thrown down the gauntlet to West Ham loan signing Wellington Paulista by saying he faces a struggle to win his place in the team.
Brazilian striker Wellington has yet to feature for the Hammers following his January arrival from Cruzeiro but was on target for their under-21 side on Monday as they beat Arsenal 2-0.
Allardyce says Wellington will be given his chance if he impresses in training but with the likes of Andy Carroll, Marouane Chamakh, Carlton Cole and Ricardo Vaz Te all available, he admits the 28-year-old will have to work hard to make his mark.
“We’ll try and promote him [to the first team] if he continues to improve,” said the West Ham boss.
“And if he continues to score goals when he plays then we’ll give him a run out, we’ll get him in the squad and see what he’s got to offer.”
But after starting January with only one available striker, Allardyce admits he now has a wealth of options in attack.
“At the moment if there’s one area in which we’re over-balanced it’s [up front].”
“We moved into January with one frontman in Carlton Cole.
“Andy [Carroll] was injured, [Mobido] Maiga was off to the African Nations Cup, Vaz Te was coming back from a dislocated shoulder and Yossi Benayoun had been injured for two months… We hardly had any.
“It’s gone reverse to that. They’ve all come back, Joe Cole’s joined us and we’ve taken Chamakh on loan.
“So we’re blessed in that area at the moment.
“It will be difficult for [Wellington] to get in. But if he keeps playing well and keeps scoring then we’ll give him a chance.”