Search

Redknapp denies bids for West Ham, Newcastle, Rennes and ex-Chelsea stars

12:41 24 December 2012

West Ham United

West Ham United's Mohamed Diame celebrates a goal. Photo: Dominic Lipinski/PA

PA Wire/Press Association Images

Transfer news: Harry Redknapp has dismissed reports linking him to West Ham United’s Mohamed Diame plus a number of other top players.

The QPR boss knows he must add to his squad in the January transfer window if they are to haul themselves out of the Premier League relegation zone and avoid the basement trap door come May.

However, today Redknapp shrugged off speculation over a move for the Irons ace plus also Newcastle’s Demba Ba, Rennes midfielder Yann M’Villa and former Chelsea striker Nicola Anelka.

“We haven’t made any offers for anybody at the moment,” he said. “If you want to get good players you have to pay decent wages, that is the way it works.

“There is no magic formula where you can pick players up cheap. All you hope for is that the one you pay decent wages to want to do well for you, the club and want to give value for money.”

Hammers boss Sam Allardyce has admitted that midfielder Diame does have a clause in his contract which could see him depart the east London club next month, but Redknapp denied a bid had been sent to Upton Park.

“No, he’s a good player but we’ve not made any offers for him. Definitely not for him,” he said.

On M’Villa, the R’s boss said: “[He’s] a good player. I tried to sign him and I was interested in him when I was at Tottenham but we’ve not made any offers for him.”

But Redknapp admitted Anelka, who left Chelsea for China in the summer, would be too expensive for the Hoops.

Related articles

0 comments

Latest Sport Stories

Yesterday, 19:00
West Ham United's Adrian during the Barclays Premier League match at Upton Park, London.

Hammers stopper Adrian can’t wait for another trip to Chelsea

Premier League
Yesterday, 14:10
Leyton Orient midfielder Dean Cox. Pic: Simon O'Connor

Maybe my time is up, says midfielder

Dean Cox
Yesterday, 08:25

Our West Ham blogger wants the press and other cynics to eat some humble pie

Diafra Sakho
Saturday, December 20, 2014
O's Manager Fabio Liverani
 after today's 2-0 loss at Barnsley. Pic: Simon O'Connor

Manager accepts fans booing for their poor first half performance

Fabio Liverani

Most read sport

After weeks of challenges and cringeworthy boardroom showdowns, Lord Sugar made a decision – and Twitter was watching.

And we were all invited to the happy couple’s big day!

And they have a role to play in saving their species.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Newham Recorder e-edition today E-edition