Search

Orient defender Cuthbert: It’s hard for the officials

10:30 12 January 2015

O

O's Scott Cuthbert during Saturday's 1-0 home loss to Fleetwood Town. Pic: Simon O'Connor

Simon O'Connor Photography

O’s stand-in skipper reflects on the penalty decision which didn’t go their way in the 1-0 home loss to Fleetwood Town.

Leyton Orient defender Scott Cuthbert insists there’s no point in complaining about the late penalty decision which didn’t go their way in the 1-0 home loss to Fleetwood Town on Saturday.

Gareth Evans’ strike in the first minute of the second half put the O’s behind and as they looked for a way back into the game, they were denied a penalty when Bradley Pritchard was brought down in the area by Stephen Crainey.

Instead, a free-kick was given outside the area and Orient are now just outside the League One relegation zone on goal difference.

But despite the late protests, which saw Liverani sent to the stands, Cuthbert feels the O’s can’t blame the officials for the loss.

“It’s hard for the officials. I am not going to sit here and criticise officials,” said Cuthbert.

“They have got hard jobs just like we have. They make mistakes, we make mistakes. Another week that would have been given, but it’s not been given and there’s no point in complaining about it.

“You have just got to dust yourselves down and go again next week.”

Jamie Proctor nodded the ball into the path of Evans to net the early second half opener, and Cuthbert admits Orient paid the price for their poor start to the second period.

“That’s really frustrating from us. We have switched off,” he added.

“We know that they play the long ball to Proctor and get runners off him and we have not matched the runner going into the box and that’s disappointing from us.

“They were getting the ball in the box and they were getting quite a lot of set pieces in. They were quite a threat in behind with the likes of Dobbie and Proctor who were a handful. We had to defend well and I thought we did in the first half.”

The O’s had been out of action since their 3-0 win at Yeovil Town on December 29 – a break of 12 days.

However, the defender believed they cannot use that as a reason for Saturday’s defeat.

“It’s easy to make an excuse when you haven’t won a game,” said Cuthbert.

“At the end of the day we have been unfortunate I feel. We have had a few chances and on another day we could have scored.

“We switched off in the first minute of the second half and we have been punished. And I thought we could have had a penalty as well but there are no point making excuses about too big or small of a gap. It is what it is.”

Related articles

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Newham Recorder visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Newham Recorder staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Newham Recorder account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest Newham Sports News

Leyton Orient defender Sean Clohessy in action against Charlton Athletic. Pic: TIM REDER

Experienced right-back reflects on goalless draw with Charlton Athletic and competition for places in the squad

Sammy Moore
Yesterday, 14:00
Russell Slade (left) and Kevin Nugent returned to Brisbane Road at the weekend with Charlton Athletic. Pic: SIMON O'CONNOR

Addicks boss returned to Brisbane Road for the first time since leaving at the weekend and was given huge applause by home supporters

Russell Slade
Yesterday, 09:30
Leyton Orient caretaker Andy Hessenthaler watches on (pic: Simon O'Connor).

League Two boss pleased with Yvan Erichot but knows he needs to bring another defender in before August 6

Kevin Nugent
Saturday, July 23, 2016
Leyton Orient boss Andy Hessenthaler looks on (pic: Simon O'Connor)

Pre-season friendly: Leyton Orient 0 Charlton Athletic 0

Sean Clohessy

Newsletter Sign Up

Most read sport

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Competitions

Which book character do you share cleaning habits with?

Whether you have more in common with put-upon Cinderella, emotionally turbulent Jane Eyre, or easily distracted Mole, you’re sure to appreciate that one lucky winner will receive four sessions of free cleaning. Enter our quiz for your chance to win. All runners up will get £10 off their first clean when making a repeat booking.

Read more
£15k prize bundle

Imagine having the opportunity to win an incredible £15,000 bundle of some of the most amazing prizes available. Well, for one lucky contest entrant that dream could soon become a reality because we at MyOffers are offering an incredible free prize bundle that will make even the most hardened person wild with excitement.

Read more

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Newham Recorder
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now