Baudry reveals Orient’s dressing room joker, hobbies and more
19:44 12 May 2014
2 Burnham Road Chingford London E4 8PE
Mathieu Baudry answered 21 quickfire questions about the Leyton Orient squad and his moments in football.
1. Biggest dressing-room joker?
Gary Sawyer. He tries to tell jokes but they’re not very funny!
2. Who do you room with when you travel away?
Gary Sawyer. He makes good tea.
3. Best manager played under and why?
Russell Slade because we’ve had a lot of success with the squad.
4. Hobbies away from football?
I’ve started to play golf since coming to England. I’m not very good but I give it a proper go. I’m going to get some lessons to try and close the gap with the other lads.
5. Who’s the worst dressed player at your club?
Romain Vincelot [corr]. He doesn’t really care to be fair.
6. Who’s got the worst haircut at your club?
Vincelot. He tried to grow his hair for about five months. He thought it would look Italian but it didn’t work.
7. Best player played with?
I played with Lassana Diarra when I was in Le Havre academy.
8. Best player played against?
Benzema when I was in the youth team Le Havre at 17.
9. If you were the manager and could sign one player from the division, who would it be and why?
Carl Baker from Coventry. He’s good on the ball and can score goals.
10. Favourite goal you’ve scored?
In my first professional game at 19, I came on and scored a header from a corner after five minutes. It was a big game so it felt good.
11. Favourite stadium to visit?
Molineux. It was pretty amazing this season. I scored there so it was a good experience.
12. Who is your favourite celebrity on Twitter?
Joey Barton. He makes me laugh.
13. Have you ever been star-struck? If so, when and who by?
14. Best chat-up line used/heard?
My friends use “you’re hot like a barbeque on fire”.
15. Ultimate football ambition?
In the short term, it would be to get the club to the Championship. When I came to England I always wanted to play in the Championship. My long-term ambition is to play at the highest level I can.
16. Best fans chant?
“You used to be shite, now you’re alright.” Fans sing that at David Mooney.
17. Have you got any nicknames at the club? If not, are there any good ones?
Frenchie. Gary Sawyer’s got a long head so we call him “horsehead”.
18. Do you have any pre-match rituals?
At the end of warm up, I do some extra strides in the penalty box but that’s it.
19. Most embarrassing moment in football?
When I was at Troyes in France we got relegated in 2010.
20. What would you be if you weren’t a footballer?
I haven’t got a clue. I would’ve liked to have been a sports journalist perhaps.
21. Do you support a charity?
I give every month for Save The Children.
Sky Bet, title sponsor of The Football League, wants to hear your funny, quirky and crazy superstitions to put you in with a chance of winning tickets to the Sky Bet Play-Off Finals. Go to www.skybet.com/skybetboost or tweet your superstition to @SkyBetFL with #SkyBetBoost. Terms and conditions apply.