Search

FIFA to review World Cup bid claims

07:45 25 January 2013

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich (centre) poses with a winning bid certificate before a Russia 2018 World Cup press conference in Zurich. Photo: Anthony Devlin/PA

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich (centre) poses with a winning bid certificate before a Russia 2018 World Cup press conference in Zurich. Photo: Anthony Devlin/PA

PA Archive/Press Association Images

Allegations surrounding the controversial 2018 and 2022 World Cup bidding campaigns will be subjected to a “thorough review”, FIFA’s ethics investigator has stated.

A number of allegations have been made, including by former England 2018 bid leader Lord Triesman, plus claims about 2022 hosts Qatar who have always denied any wrongdoing.

Russia was awarded the 2018 tournament.

Ethics investigator Michael J Garcia has previously said he would look into the claims and this was reiterated today.

He said in a statement: “As has been publicly announced, certain allegations regarding events surrounding the bidding for the World Cup 2018 and 2022 were referred to the ethics committee by FIFA following media reports.

“We intend to conduct a thorough review of those allegations, including the evidentiary basis for and credibility of any allegations of individual misconduct.”

The ethics committee will also report in March on its investigation into the payment of kickbacks to FIFA members by now-defunct marketing partner ISL.

A new whistleblower hotline is expected to become operational next month.

Related articles

0 comments

Latest Sport Stories

Yesterday, 15:52
A dejected Scott Cuthbert on the floor following their late 3-2 loss at Gillingham last weekend. Pic: Simon O'Connor

Leyton Orient defender Scott Cuthbert insists Saturday’s home game against fellow strugglers Crewe has taken on even greater significance following last weekend’s 3-2 loss at Gillingham.

Scott Cuthbert
Yesterday, 14:00
West Ham's Carlton Cole (Photo by Scott Heavey/Getty Images)

Forward confident ahead of trip to Merseyside and pleased to see Andy Carroll back

Andy Carroll
Yesterday, 12:54
Mauro Zarate of West Ham  (Photo by Julian Finney/Getty Images)

West Ham manager Sam Allardyce has told forward Mauro Zarate he must improve in order to get back into the first team picture at Upton Park.

Diafra Sakho
Wed, 17:00
Action from Wapping's clash against Wisbech Town (pic: Karolin Schaps-Bolle)

Men put Wisbech to the sword

Norwich

Most read sport

The Labour MP has resigned after posting a photo of a house draped with three Cross of St George flags on the day of the Rochester and Strood by-election.

The club said the reaction following their decision to allow Evans to train had been at an intensity they did not anticipate.

The celebrity chef is embroiled in a bitter dispute over the contract for the lease of one of his restaurants.

The Labour MP has apologised after posting a photo of a house draped with three red-and-white Cross of St George flags on the day of the Rochester and Strood by-election.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Newham Recorder e-edition today E-edition