May 19 2013 Latest news:
Melissa York, Reporter
Wednesday, January 2, 2013
Firefighters rescued a woman from a blaze in her flat on New Year’s Day after a candle was left burning.
Two fire engines from Stratford station were called to the first floor flat on Horace Road, Forest Gate, at 12.11am yesterday.
One woman was treated by paramedics for shock and smoke inhalation before she was taken by ambulance to hospital.
Around 10 firefighters tackled the blaze - believed to have been caused by a candle - for approximately half an hour, leaving a small part of the flat damaged.
A spokesperson for the London Fire Brigade said: “Candles can be lovely – especially at this time of year – but it is very important to remember that they are actually naked flames, which can be very dangerous if you’re not careful.
“Don’t leave candles burning overnight and blow out lit candles when you leave the room. Even little tea lights can cause devastating fires.”