December 8 2013 Latest news:
by Melissa York, Reporter
Monday, September 2, 2013
Stratford Outdoor Market stall holders are “delighted” to be staying on the Broadway after plans to move it were scrapped.
Traders locked horns with Newham Council in April last year after a planning application was approved with a proposal to shift the stalls to a new site in The Grove as part of the Stratford public realm works taking place around the Olympic Games.
The market traders complained that the consultation process was “a disgrace” and the move would be bad for business as the number of people frequenting The Grove is far smaller than on the Broadway.
The council said it had “consulted extensively” through regular meetings and the move was postponed from April until October.
A final decision was due this month but it emerged last Thursday that the application has been withdrawn, so the market can remain where it is for the time being.
Dennis Fisher, a spokesmand for the Stratford Outdoor Market Association, said: “The traders are delighted. I’m on my way there now. “They’ve promised me a bottle of brandy to celebrate but we shall see about that.”
A Newham Council spokesperson added: “We are very proud to provide a number of markets across the borough. Market trading is an East End tradition which is important to residents and one we will always support.
“We are currently reviewing market provision across Newham and this is why the planning application for Stratford Outdoor Market has been withdrawn.
“A new application will be submitted later this year as part of a strategy to maximise the potential of all our markets and ensure they are successful for both shoppers and stall holders.
“We will fully consult with all street traders who may be directly affected by the proposals. We are committed to providing a good markets service for all Newham stall holders and residents and we will continue to work closely with traders to create vibrant, thriving markets.”