May 23 2013 Latest news:
Kay Atwal, Chief Reporter
Friday, January 11, 2013
Medical experts are urging east Londoners to end yo-yo dieting in favour of healthy eating and exercise.
Many GPs now believe that obesity is the biggest single threat to the UK’s health and wellbeing.
Research by BMI The London Independent Hospital found:
· 75 per cent of Tower Hamlets residents were either obese or knew someone who could be classed as obese. In Newham the figure was 68 per cent.
· 62 per cent of Tower Hamlet residents and 69 per cent of Newham residents had been on a diet that was unsuccessful
· 71 per cent Tower Hamlets residents said that they had dieted in the past but then regained the weight. In Newham it was 72 per cent.
Mr Kesava Mannur, an expert in weight-management, who practices at the hospital said: “The simple fact is, dieting is not a long term solution to maintaining a healthy weight. When it comes to weight the core problem is the imbalance between the energy we take into our body through eating and the energy which is used through physical activity. Healthy eating and regular exercise are the best tools we have to tackle this epidemic.”
Obesity also carries other health risks such as diabetes, hypertension, stroke, arthritis and cancer.
Mr Mannur and his team have given their top tips for a healthier lifestyle year round:
· Watch what you eat – Read the labels, make sure your diet is balanced and limit the foods high in fat.
· Eat slowly - People who are overweight tend to eat faster. Savour and enjoy what you eat and take time to chew your food.
· Stop eating before you feel full - It takes approximately 20 minutes for your stomach to tell your brain that it’s full.
· Eat high fibre foods - Complex carbohydrates release energy slowly and keep you full for longer.
· Keep hydrated -Drink about six to eight glasses of water per day. Water is essential for the healthy functioning of the body. Water also makes you feel fuller
· Exercise - Incorporating regular exercise into your routine will burn calories and maximise your weight loss.