Search

Mayor’s 4.2pc London fare rises are derailed—for the time being

00:01 12 February 2013

Plans for ‘above inflation’ fare rises on London’s public transport have been stopped in their tracks—for the moment.

All three Opposition parties on the London Assembly last Friday derailed Mayor Boris Johnson’s proposed 4.2 per cent average increase by rejecting his 2013-14 budget and putting forward their own ‘alternative’ budgets.

But it doesn’t mean the end of the line for Boris.

The Mayor is re-presenting his proposals on February 25—and is likely to get them through with Tory support because it needs a two-thirds majority to reject them a second time.

Labour admits it may not be able to muster a two-thirds majority on February 25—so their plans to knock one per cent off bus, tube, DLR and suburban rail fares could hit the buffers.

Labour’s budget spokesman John Biggs, who represents east London on the Assembly, said a one per cent cut would save almost £200 a year for each passenger from Zone Two, Bromley-by-Bow and Canary Wharf to Whitechapel, who commutes to Zone One, City and West End, or £231 from Zone Three East Ham to Zone One.

“Boris has whacked up fares above inflation for the fifth year running—its a wheeze,” said Biggs.

“He shrugs his shoulders and says the ‘rhetoric should be toned down’ and the cuts and austerity should continue.”

His ‘alternative’ budget also includes a ‘Jobs Guarantee’ for those aged 16-24 who have been out of work for more than a year, which he said would help 525 youngsters in Tower Hamlets and 430 in Newham alone.

The Green Party also put up an alternative budget to stop cuts to the fire service while keeping council tax rises below inflation.

The Greens’ Darren Johnson said: “We put public safety and lower fares before gimmicks like council tax cuts and the new bus for London.”

His freeze on fares he reckoned would save households £60 a year.

0 comments

Latest News Stories

14:03
Mantas Ziedavicius was stabbed to death in a greenway in East Ham

A man has been charged with murder following the death of 29-year-old Mantas Ziedavicius in a greenway in East Ham last week.

17:00
Boris Johnson announces 1,500 new homes at East Wick and Sweetwater: with 
Rosanna Lawbs, Exec Director Realestate at LLDC, Leo Quinn, chief executive of Balfour Beatty, David Goldstone, LLDC chief executive, Mary Parsons, director of business development at Places for People.

Mayor of London Boris Johnson descended on Newham today to announce an extra 1,500 homes to be built in the Olympic Park.

Boris Johnson
An artist's impression of the Royal Wharf development (Pic by Ballymore Group)

The Royal Wharf’s second phase of development has 760 properties available.

Families affected by domestic violence can get financial help (photo posed by models)

Families affected by domestic violence can benefit from a grant of up to £2,000 thanks to an initiative recently awarded a second round of funding.

London

Most read news

And it’s not the first time this has happened.

Sunderland have suspended Johnson pending the police investigation’s outcome.

A man and woman arrested on suspicion of kidnapping the teenager on Saturday have been further arrested.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Newham Recorder e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24
Our trusted business finder