Search

Olympic organisers dismiss claims Olympic Games could return to London

16:31 12 May 2014

Team GB supporters cheer during the London 2012 Olympic Games. Picture: John Giles/PA Wire

Team GB supporters cheer during the London 2012 Olympic Games. Picture: John Giles/PA Wire

PA Wire/Press Association Images

Olympic organisers have dismissed claims that the Games could return to London in two years after preparations in Rio were said to be behind.

Great Britain's Christine Ohuruogu, from Newham, celebrates after winning the Silver medal in the Women's 400m final at the Olympic Stadium. Picture: Mike Egerton/PA WireGreat Britain's Christine Ohuruogu, from Newham, celebrates after winning the Silver medal in the Women's 400m final at the Olympic Stadium. Picture: Mike Egerton/PA Wire

A major London newspaper claimed an “informal approach” had been made by Olympic bosses about the possibility of using London 2012 venues for the 2016 Games, set to take place in Brazil.

But, a spokesman for the International Olympic Committee (IOC) told Parklife there was “not a shred of truth” in the claims, adding: “This is simply a non-starter – totally without foundation and totally unfeasible.”

Last month, IOC vice-president John Coates described preparations for the next Olympics as “the worst that I’ve experienced”.

He told delegates at an Olympic Forum in Sydney, Australia, that construction had not started on some venues with water quality also a major concern.

The Olympic Rings come together in formation during the London Olympic Games 2012 Opening Ceremony. Picture: Nick Potts/PA WireThe Olympic Rings come together in formation during the London Olympic Games 2012 Opening Ceremony. Picture: Nick Potts/PA Wire

“We have become very concerned, they are not ready in many, many ways,” he said, but also added: “There is no plan B. We are going to Rio.”

A spokesman for the IOC confirmed a number of special measures had been put in place to support the Games in Rio.

They included setting up a joint task force with the organisers, the recruitment of a local construction manager as well as creating a high-level decision-making body bringing together the IOC, government and all key partners.

More regular visits from the Olympic Games executive director Gilbert Felli were also planned.

The spokesman said Mr Felli had received “a very positive response on the ground in the past few days, and a number of recent developments show that things are moving in the right direction”.

She added: “Now is a time to look forward to work together and to deliver great Games for Rio, Brazil, and for the world and not to engage in discussion of the past.

“We continue to believe that Rio is capable of providing outstanding Games.”

Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park has been transformed since it hosted the Games in 2012 with homes in the former Athelete’s village now in the hands of private owners and competition venues since reopened to the public.

Latest News Stories

20 minutes ago
New heavy goods vehicles showcased designs with cycle safety in mind

New heavy goods vehicles were showcased at the ExCel centre on Thursday in a drive for cycle safety.

Green Party
Yesterday, 17:00
Boris Johnson announces 1,500 new homes at East Wick and Sweetwater: with 
Rosanna Lawbs, Exec Director Realestate at LLDC, Leo Quinn, chief executive of Balfour Beatty, David Goldstone, LLDC chief executive, Mary Parsons, director of business development at Places for People.

Mayor of London Boris Johnson descended on Newham today to announce an extra 1,500 homes to be built in the Olympic Park.

Boris Johnson
Yesterday, 16:48
Families affected by domestic violence can get financial help (photo posed by models)

Families affected by domestic violence can benefit from a grant of up to £2,000 thanks to an initiative recently awarded a second round of funding.

London
Yesterday, 15:06
An artist's impression of the Royal Wharf development (Pic by Ballymore Group)

The Royal Wharf’s second phase of development has 760 properties available.

Most read news

David Cameron will lay out his plans for helping to better protect children from sexual exploitation.

And it’s not the first time this has happened.

Sunderland have suspended Johnson pending the police investigation’s outcome.

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Newham Recorder e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24
Our trusted business finder