Search

Man rescued from Stratford house fire

14:30 31 January 2014

Two fire engines attended the scene in Vaughan Road

Two fire engines attended the scene in Vaughan Road

sub

Firefighters rescued a man from a first floor window in Stratford last night.

London Fire Brigade’s tips for avoiding a heater fire

• Never sit too close to the heater as you could set light to your clothes or chair, especially if you fall asleep

• Heaters should stand where they can’t be knocked over, away from beds, furniture and fabrics

• Do not put anything on the heater or use it to dry clothes

Two fire engines from Stratford and Plaistow stations attended a house fire in Vaughan Road after being called out at 11.33pm

They rescued the man, who was not injured but had become trapped by smoke and flames downstairs, and the fire was out by 00.25am.

Two women escaped the property before fire crews arrived and were taken to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation and minor burns.

The fire, which is believed to have started when clothes were left next to a fan heater, damaged part of a ground floor bedroom.

Watch Manager Thomas Gilson, from Stratford fire station, who was at the scene, said: “The fire started in the back bedroom, and one of the occupants tried to fight the fire herself with pans of water.

“You should never try and fight a fire yourself – you risk getting hurt and making the incident worse.

“Firefighters have the proper skills and equipment to tackle a fire safely, so always get out, stay out, and call 999 if you have one.”

Fires caused by electrical heaters have resulted in 11 deaths and nearly 80 injuries over the past five winters, and most are preventable.

0 comments

Latest Newham News Stories

09:00
Deborah Williams was frogmarched in handcuffs to a psychiatric ward in the 1990s but says attitudes towards mental health have changed

As part of the Newham Recorder’s Minds Matter mental health campaign, EMMA YOULE spoke with an ex-traffic warden about the dramatic day she was first taken to a psychiatric hospital and asks whether attitudes have changed over time.

Yesterday, 17:55
Tyrone Jacobs, left, was jailed for the murder of Harbhajan Singh Rooprai, right

An arsonist who killed a much-loved community member in a botched Christmas Day revenge attack has been jailed for life.

India
Yesterday, 17:00
An artist's impression of the Forest Gate Crossrail Public Realm & Interchange Improvement scheme

A finalised design for public realm improvements outside Forest Gate Station has been approved by Newham Council.

Newham Council
Yesterday, 15:53
The Shining Star award and certificate winners

Students from the borough have been recognised for their achievements at an awards night which raised £50,000 for charity.

Newham College

Newsletter Sign Up

Most read news

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Competitions

Copyright: Erich Spiegelhalter/Schwarzwald

Embark on a three day round trip (including flights) during which you will taste local specialities such as the famous Black Forest Gateau, discover nature, absorb vibrant city culture, learn about technological innovations, indulge yourself in the plentiful wellness spas, take some shots on the golf course, and enjoy family fun at Germany’s largest theme park.

Read more
£15k prize bundle

Imagine having the opportunity to win an incredible £15,000 bundle of some of the most amazing prizes available. Well, for one lucky contest entrant that dream could soon become a reality because we at MyOffers are offering an incredible free prize bundle that will make even the most hardened person wild with excitement.

Read more

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Newham Recorder
e-edition today

Subscribe