April 20 2014 Latest news:
Thursday, December 5, 2013
A man forced back by the flames trying to tackle a blaze in his home in east London this-afternoon had to be treated by ambulance paramedics for the effects of inhaling smoke.
The fire broke out in the kitchen of his third-floor flat at Windsor Terrace in Beckton at lunchtime.
Neighbours who raised the alarm when they heard his smoke detector going off helped him down to the street as emergency crews from East Ham and Silvertown fire-stations arrived.
The 25-year-old man was treated at the scene, but didn’t go to hospital.
The fire crews in breathing apparatus brought the blaze under control in under 15 minutes, keeping damage to about 20 per cent of the kitchen, but there was also some smoke damage in the rest of the flat. Neighbouring properties were unaffected.