Search

Landlord fined over £25,000 for unhygienic, overcrowded Forest Gate property

16:09 05 March 2014

Seven adults and two children were living at the Forest Gate property despite its state of disrepair

Seven adults and two children were living at the Forest Gate property despite its state of disrepair

Baker UnlessAgreed07977074356

A landlord has been forced to pay more than £25,500 after Newham Council found children living in an overcrowded, unhygienic and dangerous property that he managed.

Belal Salik Choudhury was found guilty at Thames Magistrates Court of 24 disrepair offences under the Management of Houses in Multiple Occupation Regulations 2006 for which he was fined £20,500. He was also fined £5,000 for one offence under the Housing Act 2004. He must also pay £738 court costs and a victim surcharge of £120.

Following the introduction of Newham’s successful property licensing scheme in 2013, landlords must apply for a licence for every property they rent out in the borough. The council prosecuted Choudhury, from Ilford, after visiting the property on Birchdale Road, in Forest Gate, for which he had no licence. Housing officers discovered there were seven adults and two children living in the property, they were paying £2,300 in rent each month and communal parts of the property were in poor condition and poorly ventilated.

The carpets and walls were dirty and there was condensation and mould growth. The kitchen window was cracked with sharp edges in places and the bathroom window could not be closed.

There was black mould growth in the bathroom and the property lacked any smoke alarms.

Although Choudhury was asked to produce the latest fixed electrical installation test certificate and gas safety certificate, these have still not been received.

Mayor of Newham Sir Robin Wales said: “I accompanied the housing enforcement team when they first visited this property which was in a disgusting state. The tenants were subjected to overcrowded and dangerous conditions that put their health at risk. To subject children to these conditions is particularly sickening.”

0 comments

Latest News Stories

Yesterday, 12:00
Brenda Lawley selling poppies  in Morrisons Stratford (photo: Arnaud Stephenson)

Step into a station, supermarket or shopping centre in the two weeks leading up to Remembrance Day and chances are you’ll come across a poppy seller.

Yesterday, 11:57
A computer-generated image of the phase two development from Barking Road

Months before its completion, the second phase of a major housing development has sold all of its homes.

Yesterday, 11:30
Planned engineering work could affect your journey this weekend.

There is a relatively minor programme of planned closures on the Tube and Overground network this weekend - but they could still affect your journey. Read on for the lowdown.

Yesterday, 09:57
Firefighters on strike at East Ham Fire Station last year

Firefighters are now on strike as part of a long-running dispute with the government over pension reforms.

Most read news

The billionaire businessman is joining his team in the Mojave desert.

“Space is hard and today was a tough day.”

One pilot is dead and another seriously injured after the craft exploded over the Mojave desert.

One pilot has died and another is seriously injured after a rocket belonging to billionaire Sir Richard Branson’s space tourism venture crashed during a test flight. Virgin Galactic’s SpaceShipTwo rocket came down in the Mojave Desert in California. An eyewitness reported that the craft exploded in flight after ignition. A Virgin Galactic spokesman said the […]

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Newham Recorder e-edition today E-edition