Search

Jubilee line upgrades halted by TfL

PUBLISHED: 15:40 10 October 2017 | UPDATED: 15:40 10 October 2017

TfL plans to pause the introduction of new trains on the Jubilee line. Picture: Katie Collins/PA

TfL plans to pause the introduction of new trains on the Jubilee line. Picture: Katie Collins/PA

PA Wire/PA Images

Transport for London (TfL) has admitted upgrades to its Jubilee line are on pause after a union said they were being scrapped.

Tube bosses confirmed no new trains were presently being bought for the line - which runs through Canary Wharf, Canning Town, West Ham and Stratford - due to the introduction of the Elizabeth Line.

Drivers’ union Aslef said senior managers have admitted privately that the project has been “disbanded”, while 10 new trains operating a 36 trains per hour service have been cancelled.

Aslef representative Finn Brennan said: “It is deeply disappointing and looks like a classic example of making medium-term savings that damage the long-term ability of the Tube to cope with London’s growth.”

David Hughes, London Underground’s director for strategy and network development, said the “largest investment in the Tube’s history combined with the huge capacity increases” coming from the Elizabeth line meant there was no immediate need for new trains.

Related articles

Latest Newham Stories

13:00

East London enjoyed a decent start to the new season with seven wins and four draws in 17 matches.

Valley Hockey & Tennis Centre

The O’s moved to the top of the table on Saturday after an excellent victory on the road

Josh Koroma
26 minutes ago

Newham’s mayor spoke of an “epidemic of violence” in London at the Labour Party Conference.

Labour Party
09:00

Lakeside Hammers face a 14-point deficit after the first leg of their KO Cup quarter-final having lost 52-38 at Peterborough on Sunday.

Richard Lawson
13:00

The most popular names given to baby boys and girls last year in East London suggests that where you live could influence what name you choose for your child.

United Kingdom

An inquiry into the contaminated blood scandal which left at least 2,400 people dead has begun today.

A five-car collision on the A13 in Rainham is causing lengthy delays on the eastbound carriageway while emergency services respond to the incident.

Metropolitan Police

PROMOTED CONTENT

Hanson Fernandes’ journey began in 2015 when he arrived in London from Goa, India.

Newsletter Sign Up

Newham Recorder twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Most read news

Show Job Lists

Education Promo

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Newham Recorder
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now