Search

Hallway fire in Stratford maisonettes leaves man hospitalised

PUBLISHED: 15:27 06 October 2017 | UPDATED: 12:02 09 October 2017

Alma Street, Stratford, was closed in the early hours of Friday, October 6, as emergency services dealt with a house fire (Picture: John Gudgin via iwitness)

Alma Street, Stratford, was closed in the early hours of Friday, October 6, as emergency services dealt with a house fire (Picture: John Gudgin via iwitness)

Archant

A Stratford man was hospitalised this morning after a lit firework caused a blaze in his block of maisonettes.

Alma Street, Stratford, was closed in the early hours of Friday, October 6 as emergency services dealt with a fire (Picture: John Gudgin via iwitness) Alma Street, Stratford, was closed in the early hours of Friday, October 6 as emergency services dealt with a fire (Picture: John Gudgin via iwitness)

Alma Street residents awoke to the sound of loud bangs at around 6am as emergency services rushed into their building.

Two fire engines and 10 firefighters took about half an hour to control the blaze, which new evidence suggests was started by a firework ignited in the hallway.

The hallway and a four-roomed maisonette on the second and third floors were damaged in the incident.

A 35-year-old man was led to safety by firefighters wearing breathing apparatus.

A London Ambulance Service crew, including their hazardous area response team, treated him at the scene and took him to an east London hospital for smoke inhalation, a spokesman for the Metropolitan Police said.

Amateur photographer John Gudgin had stayed up late to take pictures of the moon from his flat in neighbouring Simons Walk.

He heard several loud noises from Alma Road while packing up his gear, not knowing firefighters were trying to gain access to the premises.

“I totally ignored that,” the 50-year-old said. “I thought it was people across the road trying to get in the intercom door because no-one’s answering for them.

“Then, about four minutes later, loads of sirens just turned up at once.”

But the scene was calm with two residents chatting outside in their dressing gowns, John added.

“This is a lazy area,” he said. “I’ve never known anything like it; trying to get life out of this place before 10, 11 o’clock in the morning.”

Police are treating the incident as arson with the London Fire Brigade issuing a warning about handling fireworks.

“We’re approaching the time of year where we have to start reminding people about the dangers of playing with fireworks,” a spokeswoman said. “Fortunately, crews were able to stop this particular fire spreading any further and led a man to safety, but it could have had a very different outcome.

“Fireworks are explosive devices and are therefore very dangerous and should be used carefully.

“They can cause severe damage and permanent harm to others.”

Police ask anyone with information to call 101 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

0 comments

Welcome , please leave your message below.

Optional - JPG files only
Optional - MP3 files only
Optional - 3GP, AVI, MOV, MPG or WMV files
Comments

Please log in to leave a comment and share your views with other Newham Recorder visitors.

We enable people to post comments with the aim of encouraging open debate.

Only people who register and sign up to our terms and conditions can post comments. These terms and conditions explain our house rules and legal guidelines.

Comments are not edited by Newham Recorder staff prior to publication but may be automatically filtered.

If you have a complaint about a comment please contact us by clicking on the Report This Comment button next to the comment.

Not a member yet?

Register to create your own unique Newham Recorder account for free.

Signing up is free, quick and easy and offers you the chance to add comments, personalise the site with local information picked just for you, and more.

Sign up now

Latest Newham News Stories

Yesterday, 17:00

Cancer survivors in east London are set to benefit after a £2.5 million grant was awarded to develop and test a new talking-based therapy.

NHS
Yesterday, 10:00

Wondering what the weather has in store for us this weekend? Watch our three-minute Met Office video forecast.

Met Office
Yesterday, 09:00

Two of Newham’s leisure centres are set to benefit from a £1.6 million refurbishment.

Prince
Yesterday, 09:00

Our Christmas Toy Appeal is putting the fun in fundraising this winter.

PROMOTED CONTENT

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read news

Show Job Lists

Competitions

Having a brand new kitchen is something that lots of people want but can only dream of. Sadly keeping up to date and making our living spaces as nice as they can be is a costly and incredibly stressful business. Even a fresh coat of paint makes all the difference but isn’t easy or quick.

Read more

Who wouldn’t love the chance to go on a shopping spree. Imagine being able to walk into a shop and choose whatever your heart desires without having to worry about how much it costs.

Read more

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Newham Recorder
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now