Search

First World War soldier from West Ham buried century after death

PUBLISHED: 16:32 19 October 2016 | UPDATED: 16:40 19 October 2016

Private Harry Carter of the 10th Battalion Essex Regiment     Picture: PA

Private Harry Carter of the 10th Battalion Essex Regiment Picture: PA

A soldier whose grave was wrongly marked for more than a century has been buried with full military honours.

The coffin of Private Harry Carter of the 10th Battalion Essex Regiment being carried by serving soldiers      Gareth Fuller/PA Wire The coffin of Private Harry Carter of the 10th Battalion Essex Regiment being carried by serving soldiers Gareth Fuller/PA Wire

Private Harry Carter, from West Ham, was 21 when a 15-tonne underground German mine detonated beneath him on November 22, 1915.

The infantryman, from the 10th Battalion the Essex Regiment, was subsequently given a grave and headstone at the Commonwealth War Graves Commission’s (CWGC) Albert Communal Cemetery Extension in France.

But nearly a century later, in 2013, investigators discovered Pte Carter had actually remained buried where he died – in the village of La Boisselle – and had been incorrectly commemorated in the Somme cemetery because of a War Office error.

Earlier today, Pte Carter was buried in Albert with fanfare in a ceremony organised by the Ministry of Defence (MoD) and attended by relatives.

The families of Private Harry Carter and Private William Marmon        Gareth Fuller/PA Wire The families of Private Harry Carter and Private William Marmon Gareth Fuller/PA Wire

Brian Churchyard, the soldier’s great-nephew, said: “It is a remarkable story and really does bring home the bravery and sacrifice made by such young men.”

National anthems were sung in English and French after a rendition of the Last Post, and members of the 1st Battalion the Royal Anglian Regiment – successor to the 10th Essex – provided a bearer party for the coffin and fired a salute.

Rev Richard Priest, who led the ceremony, said: “It is just as important for today’s soldiers to know that their comrades are buried with full military honours as it was 100 years ago, and that we honour our fallen from past conflicts.”

Another British soldier from the same regiment as Pte Carter – Pte William Marmon, from Holborn – was also found in the series of French trenches known as the “Glory Hole”. He was buried in Albert in the same ceremony as his comrade.

The service in Albert      Gareth Fuller/PA Wire The service in Albert Gareth Fuller/PA Wire

The remains of the two fully kitted men were found beside their rifles and ammunition, grenades and flares. Small figurines of children were also found in a pouch, along with a bullet carved into a love heart.

According to the battalion’s War Diary, the blast that killed Pte Marmon and Pte Carter was of such ferocity that it “filled the dugouts for about 50 yards and completely obliterated the front face”.

Genealogy research was used to identify and trace the surviving relatives of all eight soldiers reported as being killed while DNA analysis proved the remains were Pte Marmon and Pte Carter.

Steve Brown, from the MoD’s Joint Casualty and Compassionate Centre, said: “The commemorative event today is a culmination of detailed work by many organisations to achieve a common goal – the identification and burial of exceptionally brave young men who died serving in arguably the most difficult and dangerous place during the First World War.”

Related articles

Latest Newham Stories

The experienced stopper has explained why results in friendly games are important

Josh Koroma

Firefighters are asking motorists to avoid parking their cars on top of their hose as they work to dampen down a major fire in Wanstead Flats.

London Fire Brigade
10:00

A total of 53 East End Road Runners took part in the 24-hour Spitfire Scramble relay at Hornchurch Country Park.

Newham Council has announced it is taking legal action against Barclays Bank over hundreds of millions of pounds it took out in “toxic” loans.

Libraries in Newham are among the top 10 in the country.

Ford

Primary school children have thanked the hundreds of firefighters and police officers who battled a major blaze in the grasslands of Wanstead Flats - London’s biggest ever grass fire.

London

Newham Council threw £40 million of public money “down the drain” when it backed the flawed deal to turn the Olympic Stadium into West Ham’s new home, according to an independent report released today.

11:09

A ‘vile’ paedophile who preyed on ‘vulnerable’ children for more than 30 years has been jailed.

Snaresbrook Crown Court

Newsletter Sign Up

Newham Recorder twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Most read news

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Newham Recorder
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now