July 24 2014 Latest news:
by Adam Barnett, Reporter
Friday, June 27, 2014
More than 1,600 people in Newham were forced to rely on food banks last year, as charities warn of a rise in resort to emergency food across London.
The figure, which includes 677 children, was revealed in a report by food aid charities that totalled up the number of people in London who used emergency food aid for three days.
Oxfam, Church Action on Poverty and The Trussell Trust say the major food aid outlets provided more than 20million meals nationally over the year, a 54 per cent increase on the figure of 13million for the previous 12 months.
The charities are calling for the government to urgently draw up an action plan to reverse the tide of food poverty and conduct urgent research into the extent and causes of the problem.
Oxfam chief executive Mark Goldring said: “Food banks provide invaluable support for families on the breadline, but the fact they are needed in 21st century Britain is a stain on our national conscience.
“We truly are living through a tale of two Britains. While those at the top of the tree may be benefiting from the green shoots of economic recovery, life on the ground for the poorest is getting tougher.”
Chris Mould, chairman of The Trussell Trust, said: “These figures are just the tip of the iceberg of UK food poverty, which is a national disgrace.
“The troubling reality is that there are also thousands more people struggling with food poverty who have no access to food aid, or are too ashamed to seek help.”
For more information visit trusselltrust.org.