December 11 2013 Latest news:
Adam Barnett, Reporter
Monday, October 14, 2013
A family of four are facing eviction from their home of more than 30 years due to a council policy to free up housing.
Judith and David Butler have been told they and their two daughters are “under-occupying” their three -bedroom house in Parry Avenue, Beckton, and must move to smaller accommodation or be taken to court.
Daughters Lucy, seven, and Nicole, 13, have had their own rooms since their grandfather, Alan, died in January.
However, under Newham Council’s housing allocation policy, introduced in October 2012, the girls have to share a bedroom, leaving the third room vacant.
This would mean the family were not using the third room and must move to a two-bedroom home offered by the council.
Mrs Butler said: “We’re very worried. We don’t know where we’re going to end up because we haven’t been told anything.
“My eldest is coming up to her GCSEs and it’s really hard for her. She doesn’t know whether she’s going to have anywhere to come home to.”
The Butlers have been supported in their fight by their MP, Stephen Timms, who wrote to the council on their behalf.
Mr Butler has lived in the house for 33 years and took over the tenancy in July after the death of his father.
Mrs Butler said: “We don’t want to have to move. We have a community here. People don’t want us to move.”
A council spokesman said: “Our allocations policy was revised last year to ensure our housing stock was distributed in a fair and just way. The house the family is currently occupying is larger than their requirements, we have made them an offer of a smaller property that will still meet their needs.
“We are working with the them to resolve the situation as quickly as possible.” and hope to come to a decision soon.”