Search

Primary school in East Ham bans pupils under the age of eight from wearing hijabs

PUBLISHED: 18:17 15 January 2018

A women wearing a hijab. Picture: Johnny Green/PA

A women wearing a hijab. Picture: Johnny Green/PA

PA Archive/PA Images

A primary school in East Ham has banned pupils under the age of eight from wearing hijabs and encouraged parents not to make their children fast on school days.

St Stephen's in East Ham. Picture: GoogleSt Stephen's in East Ham. Picture: Google

St Stephen’s, which topped the Sunday Times school league tables in 2017, has had the policies in place for a while and explained their decision to the newspaper.

Headteacher Neena Lall told the Sunday Times the changes had been made to help integrate children into British society.

A few years ago she asked the children to put their hands up if they thought they were British. “Very few” said they did.

The school has encouraged the government to roll out similar policies in all schools.

The current system is schools are responsible for setting their own rules although the Department for Education does issue guidelines, they say.

The school told the Recorder they had done a newspaper interview and had no further comment to make.

Newham Council also declined to comment.

Latest Newham Stories

13:00

West Ham United return to the London Stadium for their first home game of the new Premier League term on Saturday when Bournemouth visit.

After getting out on 49 last month and making double figures numerous times, the 21-year-old claimed his maiden fifty in T20 cricket last night

Ravi Bopara
15:02

The friends and family of three-year-old Isla Caton - who has a rare form of cancer - held a special early birthday party for her before she leaves to go for specialist treatment in Barcelona.

10:00

Clapton manager Jonny Fowell is hoping to have a few of his first-team squad return from injury for their clash with Stanway Rovers this weekend.

Essex Senior League

Ross Embleton hailed the work of Colin James and his staff after pitch struggles last season due to a lack of investment by the previous regime

Justin Edinburgh

Two men have been arrested after allegedly assaulting two police officers and threatening them with a gun in Manor Park.

Metropolitan Police
09:33

Police are trying to find Rachael Joseph who has been missing since yesterday afternoon.

PROMOTED CONTENT

Hanson Fernandes’ journey began in 2015 when he arrived in London from Goa, India.

Newsletter Sign Up

Newham Recorder twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Most read news

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Newham Recorder
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now