Stratford men among terror suspects appearing today at Old Bailey
10:52 28 January 2013
A trainee doctor from Stratford is among three terror suspects accused of plotting a jihadi operation which saw two Western journalists held captive.
Shajul Islam, aged 26, of Luxembourg Mews, appeared at the Old Bailey on Monday, along with Jubayer Chowdhury, aged 24, of no fixed address charged with unlawful imprisonment of Sunday Times photographer and Dutchman Jeroen Oerlemans.
Mr Cantile and Mr Oerlemans were kidnapped near the Syrian border with Turkey in July of last year.
The pair were handcuffed and held at gunpoint by a rebel army after accidentally stumbling into a terrorist training camp.
Mr Islam and Mr Chowdhury, are said to have been part of the band of rebels.
Islam’s brother Najul, 31, of the same Stratford address as his brother, was arrested last Friday, and accused of helping to bankroll the operation.
He is charged with facilitating an act of terrorism.
He is said to have supplied night vision goggles, rifle equipment, and medical supplies along with cash and a vehicle to the alleged terrorists.
All three appeared at the Old Bailey via videolink for a brief hearing during which they spoke only to confirm their names.
A plea and case management hearing has already been set for April 19, while a trial, expected to last up to eight weeks, is scheduled to begin on June 5. All three men are in custody.