Search

Newham Council prosecuted after pupil scarred for life on school trip

15:00 29 January 2013

Newham Council was ordered to pay £30,000 on Friday for failing to prevent a 15-year-old schoolgirl being engulfed in a fireball that left her scarred for life.

The teenager, then a pupil at Plashet School for Girls in East Ham, was one of 25 girls on a three-day camping trip in West Sussex for the Duke of Edinburgh Silver Award scheme when she was caught in a flashover after another pupil poured methylated spirits on to a cooking stove she thought was going out.

The flames set fire to her clothing and headscarf, causing severe burns to her hands, arms, face, neck, and legs.

After spending three weeks recovering in Chelmsford Hospital’s Special Burns Unit, the student had to have a skin graft and was left with permanent scarring.

The group was led by an expedition leader employed by the council along with two teachers and a school administrator.

The incident, on July 9 2011, prompted an investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) who brought a prosecution against Newham Council for breaching the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.

They were fined £15,000 plus £17,246 costs at Southwark Crown Court on Friday January 25.

The HSE said the incident could have been avoided if fuel had been contained correctly, safely stored, and simple stove lighting procedures followed.

After the hearing, HSE inspector John Crookes said: “This incident was avoidable and the failure to take simple safety measures has led to a young girl being unnecessarily scarred for life.”

A spokesperson for Newham Council said: “The council apologises to her for the injuries she sustained. We have supported her and her family during her recovery from the incident.

“We entered a guilty plea in the crown court and co-operated closely with the HSE in the investigation of this incident and in taking remedial action.

“We have endeavoured to learn all the lessons possible from this.”

The representative added that this is the first time they have been prosecuted for such an incident and “immediate preventative action” had been taken to ensure it did not happen again.

Risk assessments and methods have been revised and spirit stoves will no longer be used on expeditions and other activities.

Latest Newham News Stories

Yesterday, 17:00
Phillip Cranwell and Gillian DuCharme with Forest Gate Community School students

Back in 1997, headteacher Gillian DuCharme traded a Kent boarding school that counts Princess Anne among its alumni for an east London comprehensive for a BBC documentary.

BBC
Yesterday, 12:00
Former house of Will Thorne, MP and trade unionist in Lawrence Road, Upton Park

A century and a half ago, English Heritage began its blue plaque scheme to endorse “British innovation, creativity and success throughout history”.

Robin
Fri, 18:15
Newham Council said the rates had not increased for five years

Business owners have warned that hundreds of jobs could be lost after a “diabolical” rise in unit costs.

Newham Council
Fri, 15:55
Police took four teenagers to an east London police station where they currently remain. Picture: PA images

Four teenagers aged between 14 and 16 remain in custody following an alleged stabbing on Barking Road.

Newsletter Sign Up

Most read news

HOT JOBS

Show Job Lists

Competitions

Win a BMW 1 series

There are fewer cars currently on the market more stylish and exciting than the BMW. Known all over the world as one of the best car manufacturers, the BMW is renowned for sleek designs and fantastic high quality workmanship.

Read more
Kindle 7 inch tablet

Are you looking for a brand new gadget to help you stay connected on the go and make that long journey home a bit more entertaining? Look no further. MyOffers is giving you the chance to win 1 of 50 Kindle Fire 7” Display Tablets! That’s 50 times more chances to win, so hurry up and enter our competition today and you could be one of our lucky winners!

Read more

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Newham Recorder
e-edition today

Subscribe