Search

Newham Council prosecuted after pupil scarred for life on school trip

PUBLISHED: 15:00 29 January 2013

Newham Council was ordered to pay £30,000 on Friday for failing to prevent a 15-year-old schoolgirl being engulfed in a fireball that left her scarred for life.

The teenager, then a pupil at Plashet School for Girls in East Ham, was one of 25 girls on a three-day camping trip in West Sussex for the Duke of Edinburgh Silver Award scheme when she was caught in a flashover after another pupil poured methylated spirits on to a cooking stove she thought was going out.

The flames set fire to her clothing and headscarf, causing severe burns to her hands, arms, face, neck, and legs.

After spending three weeks recovering in Chelmsford Hospital’s Special Burns Unit, the student had to have a skin graft and was left with permanent scarring.

The group was led by an expedition leader employed by the council along with two teachers and a school administrator.

The incident, on July 9 2011, prompted an investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) who brought a prosecution against Newham Council for breaching the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.

They were fined £15,000 plus £17,246 costs at Southwark Crown Court on Friday January 25.

The HSE said the incident could have been avoided if fuel had been contained correctly, safely stored, and simple stove lighting procedures followed.

After the hearing, HSE inspector John Crookes said: “This incident was avoidable and the failure to take simple safety measures has led to a young girl being unnecessarily scarred for life.”

A spokesperson for Newham Council said: “The council apologises to her for the injuries she sustained. We have supported her and her family during her recovery from the incident.

“We entered a guilty plea in the crown court and co-operated closely with the HSE in the investigation of this incident and in taking remedial action.

“We have endeavoured to learn all the lessons possible from this.”

The representative added that this is the first time they have been prosecuted for such an incident and “immediate preventative action” had been taken to ensure it did not happen again.

Risk assessments and methods have been revised and spirit stoves will no longer be used on expeditions and other activities.

Latest Newham News Stories

07:00

Council taxpayers across east London are forking out for town hall staff car journeys at 60p for every mile—a third more than the government-recommended petrol allowance, it has emerged this week.

United Kingdom
Yesterday, 18:21

A Canning Town woman who has overcome ovarian cancer twice is one of the faces of a new national campaign raising awareness of the disease.

London
Yesterday, 17:08

A alleged internet troll who falsely portrayed his brother-in-law as a Islamic State supporter, paedophile and would-be bomber of a Canning Town primary school as part of a “vicious” cyber campaign sparked by the breakdown of his marriage, a court has heard.

UN Court
Yesterday, 13:47

Campaigners are crowdfunding their legal bid to overturn the results of the Labour Party’s 2018 Newham mayoral selection process.

Robin

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Most read news

Show Job Lists

Competitions

Having a brand new kitchen is something that lots of people want but can only dream of. Sadly keeping up to date and making our living spaces as nice as they can be is a costly and incredibly stressful business. Even a fresh coat of paint makes all the difference but isn’t easy or quick.

Read more

Who wouldn’t love the chance to go on a shopping spree. Imagine being able to walk into a shop and choose whatever your heart desires without having to worry about how much it costs.

Read more

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Newham Recorder
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now