Landlord couple fined for fire hazard after Tower Hamlets council summons

18:09 31 January 2014

Tower Hamlets Council

Tower Hamlets Council


A couple who rented out their property in a “dangerous” condition in London’s East End have been fined £14,400.

The five-storey terraced house in Bow Road, Bow, occupied by several tenants, did not comply with security, fire and electrical safety laws.

Landlords Samuel Jenyo and his wife Olusola, from Harrier Way in Beckton, were summonsed with their company, SAB Associates, and found guilty by Thames magistrates of offences under the Housing Act.

They failed to carry out “essential security, fire safety and electrical work” after 21 months which was first brought to their attention in May, 2011, magistrates heard.

Matters were still not properly dealt with when environment officers called again during a follow-up visit more than a year-and-a-half later, when the couple failed to produce an electrician’s certificate.

There were still electrical faults, while the fire alarm system and fire doors did not comply with the safety regulations, the court was told.

Magistrate Fitz Allen-Howard commented: “Any diligent landlord should be aware of obvious faults like scorched electrical sockets.”

Jenyo was fined £5,800, his wife £4,300 and SAB Associates £4,300. Total fines and surcharges topped £14,760.

The summons was a warning shot from the Town Hall that “landlords have a moral duty and legal obligation to make sure homes they rent out are safe.”

Deputy Mayor Ohid Ahmed said after the hearing: “We welcome the court’s decision to penalise landlords who leave tenants in dangerous conditions.”

Fire and safety regulations for multiple-occupied dwellings apply to most private rented properties in the East End, the council points out. Advice can be given by its Environment Health department on 020-7364 5008.

Latest Newham News Stories


As the Essex Investigator he solved cases across Newham. Now the PI shows reporter Mark Shales the dangers of the internet.


Five companies have been given a total of £20,000 in grants thanks to The International Quarter Community Fund.

Yesterday, 20:09

London City Airport has reopened following a suspected chemical incident this afternoon.

London Fire Brigade
Yesterday, 16:48

London City Airport has been evacuated following reports of a ‘chemical incident’ which has hospitalised two people.

Newsletter Sign Up

Most read news


Show Job Lists


Cosmetics, toiletries, vitamins and more. Boots is the number one choice when it comes to purchasing daily essentials.

Read more

If you’re obsessed with Apple or just love a good gadget, this is a prize that will blow you away! An incredible £3,333 to spend on Apple goodies! How would you like to be the proud new owner of the Apple Watch?

Read more

Digital Edition


Enjoy the
Newham Recorder
e-edition today


Education and Training


Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now