September 18 2014 Latest news:
Saturday, November 24, 2012
The days are getting shorter and the nights are getting longer so here are some tips from Newham police to keep you safe when you’re travelling in the dark.
• Stay in bright, well lit and busy areas
• Try to look and act confident - look like you know where you are going and walk tall
• Spread your valuables around your body - i.e. keep your phone in your bag, keys in your pocket and wallet inside your jacket
• Don’t put your valuables on show - for example, talking on your mobile is an invitation for a thief
• Never leave your bags or other valuables unattended in public places.
• Be discreet with your belongings; displaying expensive jewellery or electronic devices, like mobile phones or cameras, could attract unwanted attention.
• Don’t make your mobile phone a moving target. Don’t tempt mobile phone thieves; be aware when making a call. When you leave a train or tube station don’t use your phone immediately, leave it a while.
• Keep calls in public places as brief as possible, the longer you talk, the more likely you are to be spotted by a potential thief. Don’t walk and text at the same time, you will be less aware of what is happening around you.