Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 24°C

min temp: 16°C

Five-day forecast

Forest Gate man murdered pregnant wife in a fit of rage

Mohammed Badiuzzaman has admitted killling Sabeen Thandi Mohammed Badiuzzaman has admitted killling Sabeen Thandi

Tuesday, May 6, 2014
3:53 PM

A controlling man who strangled his pregnant wife, leaving her three children without a mother, has pleaded guilty to her murder at the Old Bailey today.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

Sabeen Thandi's body  was found at her Forest Gate home on July 7 last yearSabeen Thandi's body was found at her Forest Gate home on July 7 last year

Mohammed Badiuzzaman, 35, a security guard of no fixed abode, murdered Sabeen Thandi in a fit of rage on July 7 last year after discovering that she had begun a relationship with someone else.

Mohammed Badiuzzaman began a relationship with Sabeen Thandi, 37, in November 2012 and moved into her property in January 2013.

He became controlling and forced her to wear a hijab. In April 2013 he pressured her into an Islamic marriage.

He even tried to sell her home by pretending he was the owner to estate agents.

He refused to let her go out on her own and would not let her travel to and from work as a doctors receptionist.

By June 14 2013 she had had enough of Mohammed and visited a solicitors in Watford.

Three days later, Watford County Court put in place a non-molestation order against Mohammed preventing him from entering the her home in Disraeli Road, Forest Gate.

She feared for her safety and the safety of her three children.

Two days later Mohammed forced her to revoke the order, telling her she would never see her son again if she did not.

When it became clear that Sabeen Thandi had been forced to attend the solicitors office they called police.

Mohammed Badiuzzaman was arrested on suspicion of threats to kill and unlawful imprisonment. He was later released.

In the early hours of July 7 last year officers were called to Disraeli Road after an abandoned call was made from the address.

Mohammed Badiuzzaman answered the door and told officers there was only himself and his daughter in the address.

When officers entered the property and asked Mohammed where the children’s mother was, he said she had not returned from work.

Officers found her lifeless body in a bedroom. She had been strangled.

Mohammed was arrested for her murder.

Detective Inspector Euan McKeeve said: “Mohammed learnt that Sabeen had begun a relationship with someone else and murdered his wife in a fit of rage.

“This tragedy has left three children without a loving mother in the prime of her life.”

He is due to be sentenced at the Old Bailey on May 27.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission is investigating the actions of officers from the MPS as well as Hertfordshire Police.

Share this article

Most Read News

Picture: Dave Thompson/PA Wire.

Unexploded bomb found near Olympic Park

An unexploded bomb is currently being disposed of near the Olympic Park.

Read full story »

   Local advertisers

Other Crime & Court articles

Click here to read the Digital Edition of the Newham Recorder on screen
Use our Wedding site to help you plan your big day!
At WeddingSite we know how much you have to organise for your wedding day, that's why we have designed a set of FREE, simple-to-use tools to make the planning process easy & hassle-free. FIND OUT MORE
Find a date using our online dating and friend finder
You can meet new friends, find romance or simply meet up online with people sharing similar interests and hobbies. FIND OUT MORE
Find a local business using our online directory search
Need a plumber? Or a florist? Or anything else? Search our business directory to find Newham businesses in just a few seconds. FIND OUT MORE
Family notices from the Newham Recorder, with readers' tributes
In memoriam, birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, best wishes & special days. FIND OUT MORE

Celebrity / Showbiz See all

Drake has cancelled his Wireless London performance (Photo by Theo Wargo/Getty Images for ESPN)

Fans devastated after Drake cancels Wireless London festival

Rapper Drake has pulled out of his headline appearances at this weekend’s Wireless Festival in London, leaving fans devastated.

Read full story »