Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 21°C

min temp: 11°C

Five-day forecast

Alleged acid attacker Mary Konye told jurors she was the victim of a “conspiracy” and that evidence heard in court against her was “all lies”.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

The 21-year-old student claimed her childhood friend Naomi Oni was “playing the victim” when she said she was scared to go back to the scene of the alleged attack.

Victoria’s Secret worker Ms Oni, also 21, was allegedly doused in sulphuric acid as she walked home from work along Lodge Avenue, Dagenham, in the early hours of December 30, 2012.

Under questioning at Snaresbrook Crown Court from prosecutor Gareth Patterson about her alleged involvement Konye replied: “I regret ever being a part of it.”

She repeatedly denied claims she had carried out the attack on her own to jurors at Snaresbrook Crown Court, instead insisting that together they had both planned it over three months and used the acid attack on disfigured model Katie Piper in 2008 as a “reference”.

She also denied ever threatening to throw acid over Ms Oni, as was alleged by multiple witnesses, after supposedly being called an “ugly monster” by her.

“I would never go out of my way to destroy someone’s image because of a word called ‘ugly’,” she said.

“I have known Naomi for so long and we have had several disagreements and not once have I raised a threat against her.

“I don’t know why people are conspiring against me and making up these lies. It’s a conspiracy.”

Konye, a former University of Hertfordshire business student, said the pair had agreed to carry out their plan three days beforehand.

She said Ms Oni had acknowledged her as she followed behind in a black Muslim veil on the night of the alleged attack, but claimed she was not carrying the acid that has left Ms Oni with life-changing facial injuries.

Instead she claimed the lingerie shop assistant had poured the corrosive liquid on herself after she had made her way home.

“I never attacked her. I never had acid. As soon as I got off the bus I tapped her and told her I was going on my way [home],” she said.

Mr Patterson said her defence was “silly” and “nonsense” to which Konye replied: “She [Ms Oni] fabricated the whole story.”

Hearing that Ms Oni had been scared to return to her family home near the scene of the alleged attack, Konye said: “That was all a part of playing the victim.

“She’s already planned ahead the things she was going to say to the police.”

Konye, of Throckmorton Road, Canning Town, denies the charge of applying corrosive fluid with intent to disfigure, maim or cause grievous bodily harm.

The trial continues.

Share this article

Most Read News

Russell Brand with Focus E15 mums Jasmin Stone (right) and Sam Middleton (centre)

Russell Brand backs Focus E15 mums

Russell Brand has lent his support to a group of mothers from the Focus E15 campaign, who are occupying four flats on Stratford’s Carpenter’s Estate.

Read full story »

0 comments

   Local advertisers

Other Crime & Court articles

Click here to read the Digital Edition of the Newham Recorder on screen
Use our Wedding site to help you plan your big day!
At WeddingSite we know how much you have to organise for your wedding day, that's why we have designed a set of FREE, simple-to-use tools to make the planning process easy & hassle-free. FIND OUT MORE
Find a date using our online dating and friend finder
You can meet new friends, find romance or simply meet up online with people sharing similar interests and hobbies. FIND OUT MORE
Find a local business using our online directory search
Need a plumber? Or a florist? Or anything else? Search our business directory to find Newham businesses in just a few seconds. FIND OUT MORE
Family notices from the Newham Recorder, with readers' tributes
In memoriam, birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, best wishes & special days. FIND OUT MORE

Celebrity / Showbiz See all

Drake has cancelled his Wireless London performance (Photo by Theo Wargo/Getty Images for ESPN)

Fans devastated after Drake cancels Wireless London festival

Rapper Drake has pulled out of his headline appearances at this weekend’s Wireless Festival in London, leaving fans devastated.

Read full story »