Search

Beckton hospice calls for dancers

11:00 24 August 2012

Stewart Birnie and Leigh Evans, winners of  last year

Stewart Birnie and Leigh Evans, winners of last year's event

Archant

Amateur dancers are being urged to sign up for a competition that will give them the ‘buzz’ of performing live.

Stewart Birnie from south London, wants people to put their names down for Take To The Floor with Richard House Children’s Hospice in November and December.

Stewart and dance partner Leigh Evans triumphed in the event last year as they performed their Jive in front of more than 450 people at the Royal National Hotel, in Russell Square, central London.

This year he is a judge and says it’s time for others to follow in his fast and fanciful footsteps.

He said: “I had such an amazing time last year. I still remember all the excitement backstage among all the dancers – it was electric. Everyone was supporting each other; it was just fantastic.

“I had no idea we would win the event and we were elated to come away with the first prize. Now I’m acting as one of the judges I’ll know what the dancers will have gone through. Don’t worry though, I promise to be nice to everyone.”

The competition offers amateur dancers of all abilities the chance to learn two new Latin and Ballroom dances over six weeks of free lessons.

Couples will then take to the floor to perform in the final dance off in the Britannia Hotel, in Canary Wharf, on either November 28 or December 13.

Event organiser Ben Alonso said: “We knew we had to bring the event back after it was such a huge success last year and now we are looking for 100 people to sign up.”

Entry costs £50 with a minimum sponsorship of £300 plus the sale of six £10 tickets to friends and family.

You can sign up for Take To The Floor until October. Call Ben on 020 7540 0230 or email him at BenA@richardhouse.org.uk for an information pack.

0 comments

Latest News Stories

46 minutes ago
Flowers placed by the families of those killed in the Edgware Road underground station terrorist bombing on July 7th.

A decade ago, 52 people were killed in a terrorist attack on London’s transport network.

Newham
Danielle Russell

A woman and two teenagers have been jailed over the death of a former Newham student.

Brampton Manor Academy
Front page of the Newham Recorder after the terrorist attack

Twenty-four hours after winning the chance to showcase Newham to the world we all came shuddering back down to earth.

London
A Police officer lays flowers near the scene of the bus explosion in Tavistock Square. Picture: Steve Parsons/PA Archive

Ten years ago today, 52 people were killed in the 7/7 London bombings.

Stephen Timms

Most read news

Competitions

Good times with Greenall's!

Good times with Greenall’s, a Great British gin sponsors Great British racing.

Read more
Escape to the picturesque sights of Cornwall

Summer is finally here, and what is the number one holiday location in the UK during the warmer months? Cornwall, of course!

Read more

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Newham Recorder e-edition today E-edition
Family Notices 24


Our trusted business finder