Local Weather

Heavy Rain

Heavy Rain

max temp: 27°C

min temp: 19°C

Five-day forecast

Olympic boss steps down after pivotal role in securing London 2012 Games legacy

Dennis Hone Dennis Hone

Wednesday, May 14, 2014
1:24 PM

Olympic boss Dennis Hone CBE is set to stand down after playing a pivotal role in the build up to London 2012 and in securing the long-term legacy of the Games in east London.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

Dennis Hone CBE spent several years working for the Olympic Delivery Authority in the run up to the London 2012 GamesDennis Hone CBE spent several years working for the Olympic Delivery Authority in the run up to the London 2012 Games

Mr Hone will be leaving his role as chief executive of the London Legacy Development Corporation (LLDC) this summer to take up the post of group finance director with Mace, an international consultancy and construction company.

He first joined the LLDC in 2012 as the group’s chief executive following several years as the Olympic Delivery Authority’s director of finance and corporate services before becoming its chief executive in February 2011.

Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, praised Mr Hone, 56, saying he could “take much of the credit” for the “highly successful” public reopening of Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park earlier this year.

He said: “Dennis has played a huge role not just in getting London ready for the Games but for ensuring that we in London have the best and most advanced economic legacy – especially in east London – of any Olympic city in recent memory.

“He can take much of the credit for the recent highly successful reopening of Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park, and we wish him well in his new job.”

Mr Hone played a key role in securing the long-term future of all eight permanent Olympic venues following London 2012, including striking deals for the Olympic stadium and the press and broadcast centre – now the Here East digital quarter.

He has spent more than 25 years working in urban regeneration roles holding senior positions in the public sector including English Partnerships, and the London Docklands Development Corporation.

In June last year he was awarded the honour of Commander of the Order of the British Empire for his contribution to the London Olympic Games.

Following the announcement yesterday, Mr Hone said: “With the opening of Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park it is the right time to bring my part in a wonderful eight-year journey to a close and to take on a new challenge.

“It is not the end of the Olympic legacy story, though, and I know I leave behind an excellent team that will deliver on our regeneration promises for east London.”

Mace’s chief executive, Mark Reynolds, said he was “looking forward” to the expertise and experience Mr Hone would bring to the company.

The recruitment process for a new chief executive of the LLDC is underway, a spokesman confirmed, with the corporation hoping to make an appointment in the coming months.

Share this article

Most Read News

Now Sir Robin Wales wants West Ham in Zone 2, like Stratford

Demands to switch West Ham and Canning Town stations to Zone 2/3 instead of just 3 to make it fairer for London Underground passengers have been made tonight by the Mayor of Newham.

Read full story »

Click here to read the Digital Edition of the Newham Recorder on screen
Use our Wedding site to help you plan your big day!
At WeddingSite we know how much you have to organise for your wedding day, that's why we have designed a set of FREE, simple-to-use tools to make the planning process easy & hassle-free. FIND OUT MORE
Find a date using our online dating and friend finder
You can meet new friends, find romance or simply meet up online with people sharing similar interests and hobbies. FIND OUT MORE
Find a local business using our online directory search
Need a plumber? Or a florist? Or anything else? Search our business directory to find Newham businesses in just a few seconds. FIND OUT MORE
Family notices from the Newham Recorder, with readers' tributes
In memoriam, birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, best wishes & special days. FIND OUT MORE

Celebrity / Showbiz See all

Drake has cancelled his Wireless London performance (Photo by Theo Wargo/Getty Images for ESPN)

Fans devastated after Drake cancels Wireless London festival

Rapper Drake has pulled out of his headline appearances at this weekend’s Wireless Festival in London, leaving fans devastated.

Read full story »