September 22 2014 Latest news:
Dave Evans, West Ham Correspondent
Thursday, August 29, 2013
Hammers play-off final hero has asked for a transfer
West Ham’s Wembley hero Ricardo Vaz Te, became the third casualty of Sam Allardyce’s lone striker formation when he handed in a transfer request this week.
The West Ham boss had great success with the tactic last season as Andy Carroll made the position his own, but their are others who suffered because of it with Vaz Te being chief among them.
The 26-year-old striker, who scored in Tuesday’s 2-1 Capital One Cup win over Cheltenham, seemed to celebrate angrily and now it seems clear why.
“In my 10 years as a professional I have never submitted a transfer request nor issued a statement,” said the former Barnsley man. “However, I am frustrated at West Ham.
“Last season I was asked to change positions for the benefit of the team even though I had just scored 24 goals.
“The main objective was to finish top 10 in the Premier League and I followed my instructions to the best of my ability as the club always comes first. As a result even though I was injured for three months no other player made more assists than me and no other winger scored more goals.
“In addition, since I joined this football club on 31st January 2012, no other player has scored more goals than me in all official competitions to date.
“Statistics are evident to all, despite this, it has been made obvious to myself and my representatives that I am not in the manager’s plans.
“Therefore it is with a heavy heart that I submit a transfer request and look to join a club where my approach to the game will be appreciated.”
It is a familiar story at Upton Park. Last season both Sam Baldock and Nicky Maynard were transferred after limited opportunties.
The manager’s decision to play one up front with two wide men meant their chances were limited and it seems the same has been the case for the Portuguese forward.
West Ham are said to be open to offers for Vaz Te, with Nottingham Forest being quoted a fee of around £1.5 million for the player last month.
If they can sell the player before Monday’s transfer deadline, it will give the Hammers a chance to strengthen with another striker as back up to Andy Carroll.
The move for Honduras international Roger Rojas collapsed earlier in the week when he failed a medical, but West Ham have not given up on the possibility of luring a striker from Chelsea.
With Samuel Eto’o arriving in London yesterday (Thursday) and Wayne Rooney still on the Chelsea radar, if Jose Mourinho was to clinch a move for either then the wheels could be set in motion.
Former Hammer Demba Ba and Romelu Lukaku are the likely targets for West Ham, with Ba also interesting Newcastle.