Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 24°C

min temp: 16°C

Five-day forecast

West Ham face fresh hearing to contest Andy Carroll decision

West Ham's Andy Carroll (left) is shown a red card against Swansea. Picture: PA West Ham's Andy Carroll (left) is shown a red card against Swansea. Picture: PA

Friday, February 7, 2014
9:40 AM

West Ham will today appear before a Football Association arbitral tribunal to challenge the decision relating to Andy Carroll’s three-match suspension, the club have announced.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

West Ham will today appear before a Football Association arbitral tribunal to challenge Andy Carroll’s three-match suspension.

The Hammers are unhappy that the England striker’s ban - a consequence of being sent off against Swansea last week - was not overturned.

Co-owner David Gold said on Thursday that his club were seeking “legal redress” over the matter, although a statement on West Ham’s official website this morning ruled out any sort of court action.

“West Ham United are today (Friday) appearing before an FA Arbitral Tribunal in a challenge to the FA Regulatory Commission’s decision relating to the three-match suspension of Andy Carroll,” it read.

“The club is concerned that the Regulatory Commission did not apply the correct test under the rule, and denied the club procedural fairness.

“West Ham’s complaint is made under the FA Rules, and the club shall accept and abide by the decision of the FA Arbitral Tribunal.

“The club has no intention of taking the issue to the courts, but simply seeks a fair determination of its rights under the FA’s Rules.”

Referee Howard Webb made the decision to send off the striker after a clash with Swansea’s Chico Flores.

Carroll is now facing a three-match ban and Gold said that could mean the difference between relegation and top-flight survival.

Gold said on Thursday: “We are hugely disappointed at the outcome of the process.

“There is nowhere to go other than to seek some kind of legal redress. It’s not ideal, the last thing I want to do is go to some kind of legal issue because I think it is a footballing issue.

“But we are fighting for our lives. If we were mid-table we would probably get on with it but we are fighting for our lives to retain our Premier League status and we owe it to our fans, we owe it to ourselves.”

Share this article

0 comments

   Local advertisers

Related links

More West Ham articles

Click here to read the Digital Edition of the Newham Recorder on screen
Use our Wedding site to help you plan your big day!
At WeddingSite we know how much you have to organise for your wedding day, that's why we have designed a set of FREE, simple-to-use tools to make the planning process easy & hassle-free. FIND OUT MORE
Find a date using our online dating and friend finder
You can meet new friends, find romance or simply meet up online with people sharing similar interests and hobbies. FIND OUT MORE
Find a local business using our online directory search
Need a plumber? Or a florist? Or anything else? Search our business directory to find Newham businesses in just a few seconds. FIND OUT MORE
Family notices from the Newham Recorder, with readers' tributes
In memoriam, birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, best wishes & special days. FIND OUT MORE

Celebrity / Showbiz See all

Drake has cancelled his Wireless London performance (Photo by Theo Wargo/Getty Images for ESPN)

Fans devastated after Drake cancels Wireless London festival

Rapper Drake has pulled out of his headline appearances at this weekend’s Wireless Festival in London, leaving fans devastated.

Read full story »