July 24 2014 Latest news:
Friday, January 3, 2014
Everton boss Roberto Martinez says John Heitinga will be welcomed back to training with the Toffees after turning down a move to West Ham - but reported no new developments on the player’s future.
The Toffees reached agreement with the Hammers over Heitinga, but in a statement released by his agents on Thursday, the Holland international said he had not been convinced that transfer would be right for him and had therefore called it off.
He added that he was confident, with the interest being shown in him, that he would be able to join another side before the end of the January transfer window.
For the time being, though, Martinez has stressed Heitinga is still part of the Everton squad.
And it remains to seen whether or not the 30-year-old plays in Saturday’s FA Cup third-round home clash with QPR, which, after two run-outs in the Capital One Cup, would be only his third appearance of the season.
Asked on Friday at his press conference to preview the QPR game if there had been any further developments in terms of Heitinga, Martinez said: “No. Johnny is coming back today and is going to train and is going to be part of the squad again.
“We agreed terms with West Ham, but obviously it is down to the player feeling it is the right move for his career.”
Heitinga has spoken about his desire to play for his country at this summer’s World Cup, a goal he is convinced he will need to find regular first-team football in order to achieve.