April 23 2014 Latest news:
Friday, December 7, 2012
Sam Allardyce has leapt to the defence of on-loan striker Andy Carroll after the 23-year-old was questioned by police investigating an alleged assault on a photographer following the club’s Christmas party in Dublin last weekend.
West Ham have denied that Carroll had been involved in a physical confrontation and the manager today said he is happy with the conduct of his players.
The Hammers host Liverpool on Sunday but the England international would have been ineligible to feature against his parent club but faces between six to eight weeks on the sidelines with a knee injury.
On the incident in the Irish captial, Allardyce said: “I’ve got the details, all the statements. I suppose at the moment if the police are still some investigation going on I think I cant comment.
“All I know it was a huge aggravation by a photographer who became a pest. I’m happy with the way Andy and all the lads conducted themselves.
“If the photographer appeared to have been following them around for hours and hours and hours and hiding behind bins waiting for him to come out after he’s come out - then what will be will be.”
When asked if he had spoken to Carroll, Allardyce said: “Not really no, they had a good time and enjoyed themselves like they should do. They’ve come back and it’s built again a fantastic spirit in the team.
“The security guards have come out and given their statements and I’m happy with what they’ve said.”
West Ham will host Carroll’s parent club Liverpool on Sunday with all the focus Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers is also unable to call on his main striker Luis Suarez.
The Uruguay forward picked up his fifth booking of the season for deliberate handball in last weekend’s win against Southampton and will sit out the game at Upton Park.