Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 23°C

min temp: 17°C

Five-day forecast

Allardyce welcomes offers for wantaway West Ham man as Crystal Palace and Cardiff linked

West Ham United's Ricardo Vaz Te (left). Picture: Stephen Pond/PA West Ham United's Ricardo Vaz Te (left). Picture: Stephen Pond/PA

Friday, August 30, 2013
11:48 AM

Transfer news: Manager Sam Allardyce says he will let Ricardo Vaz Te leave West Ham for the right price – but believes the forward was illegally tapped up before submitting his transfer request.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

The Portuguese vented his frustrations in a strongly-worded statement yesterday, claiming he had been unfairly treated by West Ham and demanding a move away from Upton Park.

Crystal Palace and Cardiff City are among the clubs to have been linked with Vaz Te, who has struggled to nail down a first team place with the east Londoners since helping them win promotion in 2012.

Allardyce is ready to listen to offers for the 26-year-old and suspects he has already been made aware of potential suitors.

“If anybody’s going to leave now it’ll be Vaz,” said Allardyce. “You don’t keep anybody that doesn’t want to stay.

“If a club comes in to make the right offer for him we’ll be more than happy to accommodate the transfer request he’s given us.”

He added: “Generally when you make something like that they’ve been tapped. Someone would’ve probably already contacted him.

“I am expecting a bid for him in the next couple of days because you don’t do that sort of thing this late in the transfer window without having somebody spoken to you.”

Allardyce worked with Vaz Te during his time at Bolton, and he says he wasn’t surprised by the player’s transfer request.

“I’ve known Vaz since he was 16, he generally speaks his mind and gives his opinion. Everyone’s entitled to their opinion.”

“We haven’t had an offer for him. I would expect in the next couple of days we will have an enquiry.”

Despite Vaz Te’s statement, Allardyce insists his relationship with the player is not beyond repair,

“Nothing is beyond repair with me,” He said. “20 years ago, 18 years ago, he’d probably never kick a ball again.

“In today’s world of football and me being a bit more mature and mellow, I’m always ready to give someone a second chance.

“At this moment in time if he wants to leave he can. There’s no problem with that.

“The club who wants him will have to pay a fair price we consider is right. He won’t just leave the club because he wants to.”

Share this article

0 comments

   Local advertisers

Related links

More West Ham articles

Click here to read the Digital Edition of the Newham Recorder on screen
Use our Wedding site to help you plan your big day!
At WeddingSite we know how much you have to organise for your wedding day, that's why we have designed a set of FREE, simple-to-use tools to make the planning process easy & hassle-free. FIND OUT MORE
Find a date using our online dating and friend finder
You can meet new friends, find romance or simply meet up online with people sharing similar interests and hobbies. FIND OUT MORE
Find a local business using our online directory search
Need a plumber? Or a florist? Or anything else? Search our business directory to find Newham businesses in just a few seconds. FIND OUT MORE
Family notices from the Newham Recorder, with readers' tributes
In memoriam, birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, best wishes & special days. FIND OUT MORE

Celebrity / Showbiz See all

Drake has cancelled his Wireless London performance (Photo by Theo Wargo/Getty Images for ESPN)

Fans devastated after Drake cancels Wireless London festival

Rapper Drake has pulled out of his headline appearances at this weekend’s Wireless Festival in London, leaving fans devastated.

Read full story »