Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 15°C

min temp: 13°C

Five-day forecast

PFA ‘not opposed’ to bans for racist abuse

Gordon Taylor, chief executive of the PFA. Photo: Mike Egerton/EMPICS Sport Gordon Taylor, chief executive of the PFA. Photo: Mike Egerton/EMPICS Sport

Wednesday, December 12, 2012
3:50 PM

The Professional Footballers’ Association will not stand in the way of a proposed minimum five-match ban for racist abuse.

To send a link to this page to a friend, you must be logged in.

The sanction is one of a number of proposals being discussed by the game’s ruling bodies, but has yet to be agreed.

Chelsea skipper John Terry was given only a four-match ban for racially abusing QPR defender Anton Ferdinand while Liverpool’s Luis Suarez receiving an eight-match suspension for his abuse of Patrice Evra.

PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor said: “It has not gone through yet but we are not opposed to it. We want there to be some consistency and to illustrate the seriousness of our approach to this issue.”

The PFA also want all players and managers coming to England from overseas to have “cultural lessons” to make them aware of rules on discrimination under proposals to tackle racism. Until now only apprentices have been given such courses.

Meanwhile, FA independent director Heather Rabbatts insists the game must to respond to damning criticism of the handling of the Terry and Suarez cases.

Kick It Out chairman Lord Herman Ouseley has claimed there is “very little morality” at the top clubs and a lack of leadership and “a moral vacuum” in the game.

Rabbatts, appointed as an independent board member earlier this year and a potential candidate to be the next FA chairman, said Ouseley had raised important issues.

She said: “The issues that Herman Ouseley is raising are hugely important issues for the whole game and it has to respond to these challenges.

“There are a number of members from different parts of the game being consulted and we all have to rise to the current challenge.

“Despite the huge progress that has been made in tackling discrimination there is a need for renewed energy.”

Share this article

0 comments

Local Search 24
Looking for a:
Location:
Search radius:
Click here to read the Digital Edition of the Newham Recorder on screen
Use our Wedding site to help you plan your big day!
At WeddingSite we know how much you have to organise for your wedding day, that's why we have designed a set of FREE, simple-to-use tools to make the planning process easy & hassle-free. FIND OUT MORE
Find a date using our online dating and friend finder
You can meet new friends, find romance or simply meet up online with people sharing similar interests and hobbies. FIND OUT MORE
Find a local business using our online directory search
Need a plumber? Or a florist? Or anything else? Search our business directory to find Newham businesses in just a few seconds. FIND OUT MORE
Family notices from the Newham Recorder, with readers' tributes
In memoriam, birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, best wishes & special days. FIND OUT MORE

Celebrity / Showbiz See all

Drake has cancelled his Wireless London performance (Photo by Theo Wargo/Getty Images for ESPN)

Fans devastated after Drake cancels Wireless London festival

Rapper Drake has pulled out of his headline appearances at this weekend’s Wireless Festival in London, leaving fans devastated.

Read full story »